The Chris Dudley
For Youth with Diabetes
August 8-13, 2004
This is the First Camp of its Kind
In August, 1996, The Dudley Foundation sponsored the first basketball camp for youth with diabetes. 2004 will mark our nonth year. Held at Cedar Ridge Camp in Vernonia, Oregon (one hour west of Portland). The coed camp will serve 64 campers ages 10 to 17.
Cedar Ridge features
- Private, outdoor settings
- 5 full basketball courts (with courtside fountains)
- 14 baskets
- Swimming pool
- Beach volleyball court
- Camp store
- Bunkhouses and restrooms
Focus on Basketball and Diabetes
While basketball is the primary focus of the camp, programming will clearly reflect the fact that the campers have diabetes. All campers will be on a strict dietary regimen to maintain blood sugar levels, with individual meal plans addressing their specific needs. The camp is staffed with two on-site endocrinologists, three nurses, as well as the athletic staff who are trained in the care of people with diabetes.
It is the goal of this camp to provide these campers with sound basketball skills and an understanding that, with proper care, diabetes will not prevent them from leading a normal life.
In addition to skill development, there will be emphasis on:
- Understanding the value of good nutrition with physical activity
- Learning how to control diabetes while focusing on basketball fundamentals
- With the aid of the nutritionist, each camper will learn the importance of monitoring diet and balancing their meals and activities
- Individual medical needs will be met
- Nurses and counselors will test blood sugar levels frequently and provide insulin and snacks as needed
Campers Will Benefit From
Campers Will Receive
- Hands-on teaching techniques of basketball fundamentals
- Individual attention
- Increased self-esteem
- An atmosphere of enthusiasm
- Extra encouragement
- Being part of a team
- Making new friends
- Having fun
- Camp T-shirt
- Camp notebook
- Certificate of achievement
- Team photo
- Prizes and awards
- Informative lectures featuring Trailblazer Chris Dudley, the coaches and medical staff
Chris Dudley was diagnosed with insulin-dependent (Type 1) diabetes as a teenager. He was told that a person with diabetes could become a professional basketball player. Through hard work, dedication and excellent control of his diabetes, he is now a 14-year veteran of the National Basketball Association. He is one of the league's top defensive players and rebounders. Chris is an inspirational role model for children with diabetes around the world.
Fans can read Chris's basketball biography from the NBA web-site.
The cost of the camp is $410. For additional information about The Dudley Foundation, the sponsor of the The Chris Dudley Basketball Camp, contact:
The Dudley Foundation
515 NW Saltzman Rd., Suite 789
Portland, OR 97229
(503) 626-4007 Phone
(503) 626-7487 Fax
Last Updated: Thursday February 05, 2009 17:44:36
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.