We will be conducting a school chat on Monday, July 9, 2001 at 9:00 pm EDT in the School Chat room. Topics for discussion will include:
- Common school issues (glucagon, classroom testing, field trips, training staff members, snacks in classroom)
- Resolution (first line of defense is to meet with school personnel to educate)
- Applicable federal anti-discrimination laws (parental rights, school responsibilities and the difference in the application of these laws - 504, ADA, IDEA)
- Development of 504 and Health Care Plan or IEP and HCP
Joining Steph Schwartz, RN, MPH, CDE, will be Crystal Jackson, Legal Advocacy and Government Relations, American Diabetes Association - National Office in Alexandria, VA, and Michael Hohn, a school psychologist from Portland Oregon.
In order to facilitate discussion, we would appreciate your review of:
- School Bill of Rights for Children with Diabetes,
- The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes,
- Diabetes Management at School,
- American Diabetes Association, POSITION STATEMENT: Care of Children With Diabetes in the School and Day Care Setting, and
- Fighting for our children: ADA works with schools across the country to eliminate discrimination.
Please join us on July 9th for a lively discussion!
Last Updated: Thursday August 29, 2002 21:04:28
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.