BD Diabetes Software is for users of BD's Logic blood glucose monitor. The software runs on Windows-based PCs (Windows 95 or later). Meter data is downloaded directly via a special USB or serial cable that is purchased separately. The software costs $59.99 and either cable is $34.99. BD Diabetes Software is very easy to install and use, but the underlying database demands additional security precautions for users who run the software from a computer that is connected to the Internet. The software is easy to install, easy to use, and produces excellent reports. Highly recommended for users of BD's glucose meters.
The software is easy to install but includes a step that might be unusual for home users -- the installation of Microsoft's Data Engine (MDSE), a desktop version of it's SQL Server database software. A second installation CD must be installed to patch a serious vulnerability in MSDE (see more discussion about this below).
Download from Meter
After software installation, you are ready to read the meter. The BD meters hold 250 blood glucose readings within its internal memory. The software recognizes individual meters by the meter's unique serial number. Reading the meter is as simply as connecting the data cable to the meter, making sure the meter is off, clicking the "Meter" button on the main screen and then clicking the button marked "Press This Button to Download Meter Readings."
You can get BD Diabetes Software with either a serial cable or a USB cable. This makes it easy to use on newer computer, some of which don't have serial adapters. If you have a serial version of the software and discover that your computer doesn't have a serial port, there are many companies that make serial-to-USB converters.
After downloading data from your meter, you can select from several reports and graphs. Key reports include:
- Self Care Page - Customize to display the reports you want to see most often, choosing from Pie + Trend, Pie + Standard Day + Trend, or Trend + Histogram + Standard Day. Seeing multiple reports on the same page can really help in identifying trends.
- Blood Sugar & Insulin - Plots each blood glucose readings and insulin doses in a modal day graph (all data is plotted on a single day). You can view averages with range bars or individual data points. Insulin data is graphed only if it is stored in the meter.
- Pie Chart - Displays the percentage of blood glucose readings that fall within, above and below the target glucose range. You can use this report to track your progress and as a tool to assess control in a target range.
- Histogram Chart - Groups readings by glucose levels and plots them in a bar chart. You can use this report to see what range groupings your readings fall into.
- Summary - A quick summary of all data in the range selected that shows highs; lows; and number of readings below, in, and above target for various time periods in the day. Can help you identify quickly time periods that need more attention.
- Logbook - A tabular, chronological report of blood sugar readings and insulin doses.
BD Diabetes Software offers users of BD's Logic and Latitude meters an excellent software package to help manage their diabetes. Its ability to import data from multiple meters is a big plus, making it easy to incorporate data from meters at school or work. Health care professionals will like the ability to create as many users as they need. All of the reports and graphs are very easy to read. A brief user's manual is available in both English and Spanish. In short, BD Diabetes Software is highly recommended for anyone using a BD blood glucose meter.
Important Security Note
BD Diabetes Software uses Microsoft's MSDE database system, which is essentially a desktop version of SQL Server. Several serious security vulnerabilities exist in SQL Server and MSDE, and a second BD Diabetes Software installation CD must be installed in order to patch these vulnerabilities. Failure to install the patch will leave your computer extremely vulnerable to compromise if it is ever connected to the Internet. Even after applying the patch, for maximum safety, users of BD Diabetes Software should employ a hardware or software firewall and block all unsolicited traffic on port 1434.
For more information about the MSDE security vulnerability, see:
- W32.SQLExp.Worm at the Symantec Security Response web site
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-039 : Buffer Overruns in SQL Server 2000 Resolution Service Could Enable Code Execution (Q323875)
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-061 : Elevation of Privilege in SQL Server Web Tasks (Q316333)
BD Consumer Healthcare
1 Becton Drive
Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417
888-232-2737 Toll-free in the US
The main screen of BD Diabetes Software
Adding users is easy, and each user can have different blood glucose targets
You can customize the Self Care page to display the reports you want to see most often
The Blood Sugar & Insulin graph shows a modal day with blood glucose and insulin averages
The pie chart is helpful for visualizing what percentage of readings are in the target range
Clicking on a pie slice in the Pie Chart displays a pop up window that breaks down the range of readings by time of day, helping you pin point times that need more attention
May 18, 2005
Updated February 3, 2007
Last Updated: Thursday February 27, 2014 19:28:20
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.