Cheating Destiny by James S. Hirsch. Published by Houghton Mifflin, 2006. Hardcover, 307 pages. $25.00 ISBN 0-618-51461-9. Paperback (2007) ISBN 061891899X, $14.95.
"My son is thirsty." So begins Cheating Destiny, Jim Hirsch's amazing book about living with type 1 diabetes, being the parent of a child with diabetes, the diabetes industry today, the cost to the US of type 1 and type 2 diabetes, islet cell transplantation, stem cell research, the maddening nature of US healthcare, and so much more. Hirsch is a captivating writer, and as the parent of a child with diabetes, I feel a special kinship to him -- he too has a child with diabetes. He has also lived most of his life with type 1 diabetes. His book is a must read for everyone whose life includes diabetes. You'll learn more than you could have imagined. And if you, like Jim and I, have a child with diabetes, be prepared for a deeply emotional experience. Highly Recommended.
Recently Featured Books
- Cheating Destiny (10/10/2018)
- Type 1 Teens: A Guide to Managing Your Life With Diabetes (10/3/2018)
- The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin (9/26/2018)
- Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle (9/19/2018)
- My Sister Has Diabetes and How That Makes Me Feel (9/12/2018)
- Gluten Freedom (9/5/2018)
- The Little Red Sports Car (8/29/2018)
- The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin (8/22/2018)
- Bright Spots and Landmines (8/29/2018)
- Understanding Diabetes, 13th Edition (8/22/2018)
Last Updated: Wednesday October 10, 2018 15:11:46
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.