The Accu-Chek Active from Roche Diagnostics offers 5-second testing, a 1 microliter sample size, a test strip that provides visual backup, 200 memories, averaging, alternative site approval, and an infrared data port interface. The meter is small and lightweight and fits easily in a child's hand. The Accu-Chek Active's test strips which come in a vial and can be handled without impairing their accuracy. Highly Recommended.
Unlike other new meters with very small blood volume and fast test times, the Accu-Chek Active uses photometric technology instead of electrochemical technology. This means that the meter measures blood glucose through color change in the test strip, which is what allows visual confirmation. It also means that the meter needs periodic cleaning, which is simple but must be performed to prevent degradation in performance and accuracy.
If you've used end-fill capillary action strips from other meters, the Accu-Chek Active test strip takes a little getting used to. You have to pay attention while inserting the strip into the meter because you can insert it part way, causing the meter to turn on but not run a test properly.
The Accu-Chek Active is approved for alternative site testing (non-finger tip). Since the test strip is top fill only, in practice you have to press the test stip onto the blood drop. This is easy to do if the strip is outside the meter -- which the Active allows -- but testing time doubles to about 10 seconds.
Key features of the Accu-Chek Active include:
- Very small blood volume (1 microliter)
- Alternative site testing
- Visual confirmation test strip
- Test results in 5 seconds when blood applied to strip in meter; 10 seconds when blood applied to strip outside meter
- A 200-test memory for storing blood sugar readings
- 7-day and 14-day averaging
- Large, easy-to-read display
- Infrared data interface port
- Displays blood sugar readings in mg/dL or mmol/L (country specific)
- Three year warranty
The Accu-Chek Active is very easy to use, even for young children. With its very small blood volume and fast test times, the Accu-Chek Active is an excellent meter. Highly Recommended.
- Ease of use: 8 (top-loading strip; photometric)
- Features: 10 (200 memories, averaging, data port, watch batteries, touchable strips, alternative site testing)
- Speed of results: 10 (5 seconds)
- Suitability for use by children under ten years old: 8 (test strip insertion)
- Suitability for use by children over ten years old: 10
- Cost: 10 (about $52 per 100; $1,132/year at 6 tests/day)
- Overall Rating: 55
The Accu-Chek Active test strips are large and easy to handle. Results appear in five seconds when you test this way.
You can apply blood to the strip and then put the strip into the meter. In practice, this is the easiest way to use alternative test sites with the Accu-Chek Active. Results appear in about 10 seconds when you test this way.
Roche Diagnostics Corporation
9115 Hague Road Indianapolis, IN 46250
Last updated September 22, 2007
The reviews of products are the opinion of children with DIABETES. Each product is reviewed with a single purpose: to determine if the product is suitable for use by children with type 1 diabetes, their parents, and, to a lesser degree, adults with type 1 diabetes. There are many products aimed at adults with type 2 diabetes that are not appropriate or suitable for children or adults with type 1 diabetes.
Last Updated: Saturday September 22, 2007 15:25:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.