Current Research News
28 September 2016
- Use of antibiotics in childhood and risk of Type 1 diabetes: a population-based case-control study.
- Tissue-Specific Stem Cells Obtained by Reprogramming of Non-Obese Diabetic (NOD) Mouse-Derived Pancreatic Cells Confer Insulin Production in Response to Glucose. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Timing of Allergenic Food Introduction to the Infant Diet and Risk of Allergic or Autoimmune Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Glycemic variability predicts inflammation in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Is the incidence of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents stabilising? The first 6 years of a National Register.
- Glycemic Control Indices and Their Aggregation in the Prediction of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia From Intermittent Blood Glucose Measurements.
- Anti-Thymocyte Globulin + G-CSF Combination Therapy Leads to Sustained Immunomodulatory and Metabolic Effects in a Subset of Responders with Established Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Receptor for Advanced Glycation Endproducts Drives T Cell Survival and Inflammation in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Glucagon receptor gene deletion in insulin knockout mice modestly reduces blood glucose and ketones but does not promote survival. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
21 September 2016
- Safety of a Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery System in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes. PDF available with free JAMA account login.
- Early Detection of Infusion Set Failure During Insulin Pump Therapy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Modelling Day-to-Day Variability of Glucose-Insulin Regulation over 12-Week Home Use of Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity is associated with urine albumin excretion in type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes in Sardinia: facts and hypotheses in the context of worldwide epidemiological data.
- Thinking outside the insulin box: McMaster researchers link improved muscle health to better outcomes for people with diabetes. See also Myostatin inhibition therapy for insulin-deficient type 1 diabetes and Decreased Satellite Cell Number and Function in Humans and Mice With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus is the Result of Altered Notch Signaling.
14 September 2016
- Home Use of Day-and-Night Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Suboptimally Controlled Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: A 3-Week, Free-Living, Randomized Crossover Trial.
- A minimized human insulin-receptor-binding motif revealed in a Conus geographus venom insulin. See also Snails' speedy insulin: Bio-inspired insulin may act three times faster than current products and Snail venom holds key to better diabetes treatments.
- Increased skin autofluorescence of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes despite a well-controlled HbA1c: results from a cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Skin Autofluorescence is Associated with Early-stage Atherosclerosis in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Incomplete immune response to coxsackie B viruses associates with early autoimmunity against insulin.
- Coincidence of PTPN22 c.1858CC and FCRL3 -169CC genotypes as a biomarker of preserved residual β-cell function in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Beta cell function and ongoing autoimmunity in long-standing, childhood onset type 1 diabetes.
- Development of Insulin Detemir/Insulin Aspart Cross-Reacting Antibodies Following Treatment with Insulin Detemir: 104-week Study in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Aged 2-16 Years.
- Clinical Benefit of Islet Xenotransplantation for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
7 September 2016
- Skin autofluorescence predicts cardio-renal outcome in type 1 diabetes: a longitudinal study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
31 August 2016
- Broad-Spectrum Antibiotic Treatment and Subsequent Childhood Type 1 Diabetes: A Nationwide Danish Cohort Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Immune Intervention and Preservation of Pancreatic Beta Cell Function in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Long-term improvement in glucose control and counterregulation by islet transplantation for type 1 diabetes.
24 August 2016
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery during Pregnancy in Women with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- β-cell replacement sources for type 1 diabetes: a focus on pancreatic ductal cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Enterovirus infection of human islets of Langerhans affects β-cell function resulting in disintegrated islets, decreased glucose stimulated insulin secretion and loss of Golgi structure. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Antibiotic-mediated gut microbiome perturbation accelerates development of type 1 diabetes in mice. See also Antibiotic Therapy During Infancy Increases Type 1 Diabetes Risk in Mice.
- The prevalence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) in adult patients with type 1 diabetes and relationship with metabolic control and the presence of chronic complications of the disease. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Association between type 1, type 2 cytokines, diabetic autoantibodies and 25-hydroxyvitamin D in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Mixed success for Victoza in type 1 diabetes trials.
17 August 2016
- Effectiveness of a Predictive Algorithm in the Prevention of Exercise-Induced Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effect of autoimmunity risk loci on the honeymoon phase in type 1 diabetes.
10 August 2016
- Islet transplantation provides superior glycemic control with less hypoglycemia compared to continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) or multiple daily insulin injections (MDI).
- Well, I Wouldn't be Any Worse Off, Would I, Than I am Now? A Qualitative Study of Decision-Making, Hopes, and Realities of Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Undergoing Islet Cell Transplantation.
- Duration of Action of Two Insulin Glargine Products, LY2963016 Insulin Glargine and Lantus® Insulin Glargine, in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Lipid Changes During Basal Insulin Peglispro, Insulin Glargine, or NPH Treatment in 6 IMAGINE Trials.
- Is there a role for gut microbiota in type 1 diabetes pathogenesis?
3 August 2016
- New Devices Will 'Revolutionize' T1 Diabetes Care.
- Hypoglycemia Detection and Carbohydrate Suggestion in an Artificial Pancreas.
- Combination high-dose omega-3 fatty acids and high-dose cholecalciferol in new onset type 1 diabetes: a potential role in preservation of beta-cell mass. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Antigen-based immunotherapies do not prevent progression of recent-onset autoimmune diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Cardiac Assessment of Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Median 10 Years After Successful Simultaneous Pancreas and Kidney Transplantation Compared With Living Donor Kidney Transplantation.
27 July 2016
- Coprogression of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Type 1 Diabetes During 30 Years of Follow-up in the DCCT/EDIC Study.
20 July 2016
- Factors contributing to partial remission in type 1 diabetes: analysis based on the insulin dose-adjusted HbA1c in 3657 children and adolescents from Germany and Austria.
- Fall in C-Peptide During First 4 Years From Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes: Variable Relation to Age, HbA1c, and Insulin Dose.
- Dysregulation of glucose metabolism in preclinical type 1 diabetes. Free full text also available in PDF format.
- A novel approach for the analysis of longitudinal profiles reveals delayed progression to type 1 diabetes in a subgroup of multiple-islet-autoantibody-positive children.
13 July 2016
- How Much Is Short-Term Glucose Prediction in Type 1 Diabetes Improved by Adding Insulin Delivery and Meal Content Information to CGM Data? A Proof-of-Concept Study.
- Cerebral blood flow response to hypoglycemia is altered in patients with type 1 diabetes and impaired awareness of hypoglycemia.
- High-dose atorvastatin is associated with lower IGF-1 levels in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Potential beneficial effects of a gluten-free diet in newly diagnosed children with type 1 diabetes: a pilot study.
- The evolving role of bariatric surgery in patients with type 1 diabetes and obesity.
29 June 2016
- Outcome Measures for Artificial Pancreas Clinical Trials: A Consensus Report. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Randomized trial of a dual-hormone artificial pancreas with dosing adjustment during exercise compared with no adjustment and sensor-augmented pump therapy.
- Comparative Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic Study of Liquid Stable Glucagon Versus Lyophilized Glucagon in Type 1 Diabetes Subjects.
- The prevalence of early subclinical somatic neuropathy in children and adolescents with Type 1 diabetes mellitus and its association with the persistence of autoantibodies to glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) and islet antigen-2 (IA-2).
- Recruitment Into a Pediatric Continuous Glucose Monitoring RCT: Patient and Recruitment Process Characteristics Associated With Decision to Participate.
- Altered Integration of Structural Covariance Networks in Young Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
22 June 2016
- Automated glucagon delivery reduces hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes.
- Autonomic nervous system function assessed by conventional and spectral analysis might be useful in terms of predicting retinal deterioration in persons with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
15 June 2016
- Systematic Population Screening, Using Biomarkers and Genetic Testing, Identifies 2.5% of the U.K. Pediatric Diabetes Population With Monogenic Diabetes.
- Systematic Review: Early Infant Feeding and the Risk of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Randomized Crossover Comparison of Personalized MPC and PID Control Algorithms for the Artificial Pancreas.
- Effects of intraperitoneal insulin versus subcutaneous insulin administration on sex hormone-binding globulin concentrations in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
8 June 2016
- Day-and-Night Closed-Loop Control Using the Unified Safety System in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes at Camp.
- Generation of Functional Beta-Like Cells from Human Exocrine Pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Neonatal vitamin D status is not associated with later risk of type 1 diabetes: results from two large Danish population-based studies.
- Predictors of slow progression to diabetes in children with multiple islet autoantibodies.
- Pancreas-protective effect of rituximab for acute-onset type 1 diabetes in the honeymoon period: a case report. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Experimental Therapy Shows Promise for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Current outcomes in islet versus solid organ pancreas transplant for β-cell replacement in type 1 diabetes.
- Retention of gene expression in porcine islets after agarose encapsulation and long-term culture.
1 June 2016
- Enhanced differentiation of human amniotic fluid-derived stem cells into insulin-producing cells in vitro.
- Frequency of Diabetes and Thyroid Autoantibodies in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Siblings. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Non-invasive, home-based electroencephalography hypoglycaemia warning system for personal monitoring using skin surface electrodes: a single-case feasibility study.
25 May 2016
- Efficacy of an Overnight Predictive Low-Glucose Suspend System in Relation to Hypoglycemia Risk Factors in Youth and Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Automated Overnight Closed-Loop Control Using a Proportional-Integral-Derivative Algorithm with Insulin Feedback in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes at Diabetes Camp.
- Automated hybrid closed-loop control with a proportional-integral-derivative based system in adolescents and adults with type 1 diabetes: individualizing settings for optimal performance.
- A Simplified Semi-quantitative Meal Bolus Strategy Combined with Single- and Dual-hormone Closed-loop Delivery in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study.
- Adjuvant Liraglutide and Insulin Versus Insulin Monotherapy in the Closed-Loop System in Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Open-Labeled Crossover Design Trial.
- Correlation Among Hypoglycemia, Glycemic Variability, and C-Peptide Preservation After Alefacept Therapy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Analysis of Data from the Immune Tolerance Network T1DAL Trial.
- Capillary blood islet autoantibody screening for identifying pre-type 1 diabetes in the general population: design and initial results of the Fr1da study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Progress and challenges for treating Type 1 diabetes.
- Partners for life.
18 May 2016
- Carbohydrate Estimation by a Mobile Phone-Based System Versus Self-Estimations of Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Comparative Study. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Human type 1 diabetes is characterized by an early, marked, sustained and islet-selective loss of sympathetic nerves.
- Day and Night Closed-Loop Glucose Control in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Under Free-Living Conditions: Results of a Single-Arm 1-Month Experience Compared With a Previously Reported Feasibility Study of Evening and Night at Home.
- Mitigating Meal-Related Glycemic Excursions in an Insulin-Sparing Manner During Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery: The Beneficial Effects of Adjunctive Pramlintide and Liraglutide.
- Randomized Summer Camp Crossover Trial in 5- to 9-Year-Old Children: Outpatient Wearable Artificial Pancreas Is Feasible and Safe.
- Insulin Gene Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Unique Challenges Require Innovative Solutions.
- Glucodynamics of Long-Acting Basal Insulin Peglispro (BIL) Compared With Insulin Glargine at Steady State in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes: substudy of a randomized crossover trial.
11 May 2016
- Prevention of Insulin-Induced Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes with Predictive Low Glucose Management System.
- Efficacy and safety of otelixizumab use in new-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Type 1 diabetes prevalence increasing globally and regionally: the role of natural selection and life expectancy at birth. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Advances in medical care have led to type 1 diabetes boom.
- Generation of stem cell-derived β-cells from patients with type 1 diabetes. See also Stem cells from diabetic patients coaxed to become insulin-secreting cells.
- Higher diversity in fungal species discriminates children with type 1 diabetes mellitus from healthy control. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
4 May 2016
- In-home nighttime predictive low glucose suspend experience in children and adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Towards a functional hypothesis relating anti-islet cell autoimmunity to the dietary impact on microbial communities and butyrate production. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- B Cell-targeted Immunotherapy for Type 1 Diabetes: What Can Make It Work?
- Infections in Early Life and Development of Type 1 Diabetes. See also Recurrent viral respiratory tract infections during first 6 months and risk of T1 diabetes and Infections can increase risk for type 1 diabetes in children.
- Youth with type 1 diabetes have worse strain and less pronounced sex differences in early echocardiographic markers of diabetic cardiomyopathy compared to their normoglycemic peers: A RESistance to InSulin in Type 1 ANd Type 2 diabetes (RESISTANT) Study.
- Replicative capacity of β-cells and type 1 diabetes.
- A difficult case of recurrent hypoglycaemia: role of insulin assays in establishing the diagnosis.
27 April 2016
- Multinational Home Use of Closed-Loop Control Is Safe and Effective.
- Gut microbiota of Type 1 diabetes patients with good glycaemic control and high physical fitness is similar to people without diabetes: an observational study.
- Phase 3 Trial of Transplantation of Human Islets in Type 1 Diabetes Complicated by Severe Hypoglycemia.
- Identification of Tetraspanin-7 as a Target of Autoantibodies in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Final piece of type 1 diabetes puzzle solved and Scientists Have Solved A Major Diabetes Mystery.
- Vitamin D-binding protein and 25-hydroxyvitamin D during pregnancy in mothers whose children later developed type 1 diabetes.
- Blockade of glucagon signaling prevents or reverses diabetes onset only if residual β-cells persist.
- Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes among Children and Adolescents in Italy between 2009 and 2013: The Role of a Regional Childhood Diabetes Registry. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
20 April 2016
- Primary prevention of beta-cell autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes - The Global Platform for the Prevention of Autoimmune Diabetes (GPPAD) perspectives. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Invokana increases rates of ketone-related adverse events in type 1 diabetes.
- Victoza Study in T1D Yields Inconsistent Results.
13 April 2016
- Recent trends in life expectancy for people with type 1 diabetes in Sweden.
- Type 1 Diabetes Life Expectancy Still 12 Years Short of Norm. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Regenerative Therapy of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: From Pancreatic Islet Transplantation to Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Cost effectiveness and value of information analyses of islet cell transplantation in the management of 'unstable' type 1 diabetes mellitus.
6 April 2016
- Prelabor Cesarean Section and Risk of Childhood Type 1 Diabetes - A Nationwide Register-Based Cohort Study.
- HLA-DRB1*03 as a risk factor for microalbuminuria in same duration of type 1 diabetes: a case control study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Validation of a Rapid Type 1 Diabetes Autoantibody Screening Assay for Community Based Screening of Organ Donors to Identify Subjects at Increased Risk for the Disease.
- Increased mortality in a Danish cohort of young people with Type 1 diabetes mellitus followed for 24 years. See also New studies reveal large gap in life expectancy between patients with type 1 diabetes and the general population.
- Pancreatic volume is reduced in patients with latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA).
- ENDO: Farxiga Proves Effective in T1D, But Is it Safe?
- Monogenic Diabetes: What It Teaches Us on the Common Forms of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Vitamin D and pancreas: the role of sunshine vitamin in the pathogenesis of Diabetes Mellitus and Pancreatic Cancer.
- Anti-Insulin Immune Responses Are Detectable in Dogs with Spontaneous Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
30 March 2016
- Growth and risk for islet autoimmunity and progression to type 1 diabetes in early childhood: The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young Study.
- Commonly Measured Clinical Variables Are Not Associated With Burden of Complications in Long-standing Type 1 Diabetes: Results From the Canadian Study of Longevity in Diabetes.
- Silicon nanopore membrane (SNM) for islet encapsulation and immunoisolation under convective transport. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Life and death of β cells in Type 1 diabetes: A comprehensive review.
- Organ-specific autoimmunity in relation to clinical characteristics in children with long-lasting type 1 diabetes.
- Genetic predisposition for beta cell fragility underlies type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
23 March 2016
- Performance and safety of an integrated bihormonal artificial pancreas for fully automated glucose control at home.
- GoCARB in the Context of an Artificial Pancreas.
- Artificial Pancreas Success in Type 1 Diabetes in Pregnancy.
- The relationship between BMI and insulin resistance and progression from single to multiple autoantibody positivity and type 1 diabetes among TrialNet Pathway to Prevention participants.
- Type 1 diabetes prevalence increasing globally and regionally: the role of natural selection and life expectancy at birth. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The incidence rate and prevalence of pediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus (age 0-18) in the Italian region Friuli Venezia Giulia: population-based estimates through the analysis of health administrative databases.
- Lipoprotein composition in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: Impact of lipases and adipokines.
- Brain Activation and Psychomotor Speed in Middle-Aged Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: Relationships with Hyperglycemia and Brain Small Vessel Disease.
- Tumor-Free Transplantation of Patient-Derived Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Progeny for Customized Islet Regeneration.
16 March 2016
- Is Psychological Stress a Factor for Incorporation Into Future Closed-Loop Systems?
- Variability of Insulin Requirements Over 12 Weeks of Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Aspects of Hyperglycemia Contribution to Arterial Stiffness and Cardiovascular Complications in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
9 March 2016
- Early Formation of Serum Advanced Glycation End-Products in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Relationship with Glycemic Control.
- Estimated insulin sensitivity predicts incident micro- and macrovascular complications in adults with type 1 diabetes over 6 years: the coronary artery calcification in type 1 diabetes study.
- Early Corneal Cellular and Nerve Fiber Pathology in Young Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Identified Using Corneal Confocal Microscopy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link on full text HTML page.
- Real-Time Model-Based Fault Detection of Continuous Glucose Sensor Measurements.
2 March 2016
- The Pharmacodynamics, Safety, and Pharmacokinetics of Single Doses of the Motilin Agonist, Camicinal, in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus with Slow Gastric Emptying.
- Hypoglycemia-Associated EEG Changes in Prepubertal Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Korea through an Investigation of the National Registration Project of Type 1 Diabetes for the Reimbursement of Glucometer Strips with Additional Analyses Using Claims Data. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Immune recognition and response to the intestinal microbiome in type 1 diabetes.
- The state of the art of islet transplantation and cell therapy in type 1 diabetes.
- Recent advances in understanding Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
24 February 2016
- AP@home: The Artificial Pancreas Is Now at Home.
- Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Type 1 Diabetes During Supervised Outpatient Conditions.
- Effects of Frequency of Sensor-Augmented Pump Use on HbA1c.
- Association between intestinal permeability and fecal microbiota composition in Italian children with beta cell autoimmunity at risk for type 1 diabetes.
- Associations of growth patterns and islet autoimmunity in children with increased risk for type 1 diabetes: a functional analysis approach.
- Association Between Plasma Uric Acid Levels and Cardiorenal Function in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Endocrine autoimmunity in patients with Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA) - association with HLA genotype.
17 February 2016
- Long-Term Insulin Independence in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Using a Simplified Autologous Stem Cell Transplant.
- Glucagon Nasal Powder: A Promising Alternative to Intramuscular Glucagon in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Long-Acting C-Peptide and Neuropathy in Type 1 Diabetes: A 12-Month Clinical Trial.
- Variation in SLC19A3 and Protection from Microvascular Damage in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Researchers discover a genetic mutation that prevents diabetes complications.
10 February 2016
- Day and night glycaemic control with a bionic pancreas versus conventional insulin pump therapy in preadolescent children with type 1 diabetes: a randomised crossover trial.
- Feasibility of an Orthogonal Redundant Sensor incorporating Optical plus Redundant Electrochemical Glucose Sensing.
- Intensive Diabetes Treatment and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 1 Diabetes: The DCCT/EDIC Study 30-Year Follow-up. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Differential insulitic profiles determine the extent of beta cell destruction and the age at onset of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Type 1 diabetics have 'sleeping' insulin cells which could be woken, say scientists and Childhood diabetes discoveries could lead to new treatments.
- Islet-after-failed-pancreas and pancreas-after-failed islet transplantation: two complementary rescue strategies to control diabetes.
- The Advanced Technologies & Treatments for Diabetes 2015 Yearbook is now available online.
- Nonaqueous, Mini-Dose Glucagon for Treatment of Mild Hypoglycemia in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Dose-Seeking Study.
- Risk Factors Associated With Corneal Nerve Alteration in Type 1 Diabetes in the Absence of Neuropathy: A Longitudinal In Vivo Corneal Confocal Microscopy Study.
- Predominance of DR3 in Somali children with type 1 diabetes in the twin cities, Minnesota.
- Diabetes Diagnosis of the Future: 11 Types?
3 February 2016
- First report on the nationwide incidence and prevalence of Type 1 diabetes among children in Turkey.
- Beta-cell mass in non-diabetic autoantibody-positive subjects: an analysis based on the nPOD database.
- Significant elevation of serum dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity in young-adult type 1 diabetes.
- Recognition of ZnT8, Proinsulin, and Homologous MAP Peptides in Sardinian Children at Risk of T1D Precedes Detection of Classical Islet Antibodies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Implication of Cytotoxic Helicobacter pylori Infection in Autoimmune Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Resting beta-cells - A functional reserve?
- High glucose-induced hyperosmolarity contributes to COX-2 expression and angiogenesis: implications for diabetic retinopathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
27 January 2016
- Long-term glycemic control using polymer-encapsulated human stem cell–derived beta cells in immune-competent mice. See also Potential diabetes treatment advances and No more insulin injections?
- The Effects of Empagliflozin, an SGLT2 Inhibitor, on Pancreatic β-Cell Mass and Glucose Homeostasis in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effect of Vitamins C and E on Endothelial Function in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Life expectancy of type 1 diabetic patients during 1997-2010: a national Australian registry-based cohort study.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring, Future Products, and Update on Worldwide Artificial Pancreas Projects.
- Hypomethylation within gene promoter regions and type 1 diabetes in discordant monozygotic twins.
- Viral vector mediated continuous expression of interleukin-10 in DRG alleviates pain in type 1 diabetic animals.
20 January 2016
- Oral Probiotic VSL#3 Prevents Autoimmune Diabetes by Modulating Microbiota and Promoting Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase-Enriched Tolerogenic Intestinal Environment.
13 January 2016
- Day-and-Night Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: A Free-Living, Randomized Clinical Trial.
- The role of the intestinal microbiota in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Severe epidermal nerve fiber loss in diabetic neuropathy is not reversed by long-term normoglycemia after simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation.
- Retinal Neuronal and Vascular Function in Type 1 Diabetes Adults during Glycaemic Clamps.
- The Effect of Long-Acting Insulin Analogs on the Risk of Cancer: A Systematic Review of Observational Studies.
6 January 2016
- The role of the intestinal microbiota in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Variations in Brain Volume and Growth in Young Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impaired Awareness of Hypoglycemia in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Is Not Associated With Autonomic Dysfunction or Peripheral Neuropathy.
- Use of genetically-engineered pig donors in islet transplantation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Human pancreatic beta-like cells converted from fibroblasts. See also Insulin-producing pancreatic cells created from human skin cells.
- Combination Stem-Cell Transplant May Benefit Type 1 Diabetes. Free Medscape membership required.
30 December 2015
- Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations in Children Progressing to Autoimmunity and Clinical Type 1 Diabetes.
- Low vitamin D level in pediatric patients with new onset type 1 diabetes is common, especially if in ketoacidosis.
- Genetic and environmental factors affect the onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Insulin knockout mice have extended survival but volatile blood glucose levels on leptin therapy.
24 December 2015
- Intranasal Glucagon for Treatment of Insulin-Induced Hypoglycemia in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Crossover Noninferiority Study.
- The artificial pancreas: challenges and opportunities. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Toward Automation of Insulin Delivery - Management Solutions for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Islet Transplantation in Pediatric Patients: Current Indications and Future Perspectives.
- The Haptoglobin genotype predicts cardio-renal mortality in type 1 diabetes.
- The implications of autoantibodies to a single islet antigen in relatives with normal glucose tolerance: development of other autoantibodies and progression to type 1 diabetes.
- Early Neurodegeneration of the Inner Retinal Layers in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Phase 2 Study of the Glucagon Receptor Antagonist LY2409021 in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes.
16 December 2015
- Therapies to Preserve β-Cell Function in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Pancreas Islet Transplantation for Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Clinical Evidence Review. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Evidence of Extrapancreatic Glucagon Secretion in Man.
9 December 2015
- Infant Growth and Risk of Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes in Children From 2 Scandinavian Birth Cohorts See also Weight Gain in Infancy and Type 1 Diabetes Might Be Related.
- Reduced β-cell function in early preclinical type 1 diabetes.
- Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stromal Cell With Autologous Bone Marrow Cell Transplantation in Established Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Open-Label Clinical Study to Assess Safety and Impact on Insulin Secretion.
- Immunoablation and autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the treatment of new-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus: long-term observations.
- Substantial proportion of MODY among multiplex families participating in a Type 1 diabetes prediction programme.
- Saxagliptin co-therapy in C-peptide-negative Type 1 diabetes does not improve counter-regulatory responses to hypoglycaemia.
1 December 2015
- Type 1 diabetes immunotherapy using polyclonal regulatory T cells. See also End of daily injections for diabetes as scientists restore insulin production.
- Ketoacidosis at diagnosis in childhood-onset diabetes and the risk of retinopathy 20years later.
- Insulitis and characterisation of infiltrating T cells in surgical pancreatic tail resections from patients at onset of type 1 diabetes.
- The impact of having siblings - analysis of "hygiene theory" of chronic diseases in patients with type 1 diabetes in population of the Lodz region.
- Vitamin D status in youth with type 1 and type 2 diabetes enrolled in the Pediatric Diabetes Consortium (PDC) is not worse than in youth without diabetes.
- A Comparative Analysis of the Safety, Efficacy, and Cost of Islet Versus Pancreas Transplantation in Nonuremic Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Progress and challenges in macroencapsulation approaches for type 1 diabetes (T1D) treatment: Cells, biomaterials, and devices.
- Diabetic pancreas cells made to produce insulin by bone protein.
25 November 2015
- Effects of Prior Intensive Insulin Therapy and Risk Factors on Patient-Reported Visual Function Outcomes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) Cohort. Free full text available in HTML and PDF (via link) formats.
- Insulitis and β-Cell Mass in the Natural History of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) Vaccination in Infancy and Risk of Childhood Diabetes.
- Artificial Pancreas Device Systems for the Closed-Loop Control of Type 1 Diabetes: What Systems Are in Development?
- Metabolic Control With the Bio-inspired Artificial Pancreas in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A 24-Hour Randomized Controlled Crossover Study.
- Successful Application of Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Therapy After Islet Autotransplantation.
- Immune Depletion in Combination with Allogeneic Islets Permanently Restores Tolerance to Self-Antigens in Diabetic NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
17 November 2015
- Vaccinations and childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Diet, Microbiota and Immune System in Type 1 Diabetes Development and Evolution. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Coxsackievirus B5 Infection Induces Dysregulation of MicroRNAs Predicted to Target Known Type 1 Diabetes Risk Genes in Human Pancreatic Islets.
- Changing the Course of Disease in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML Reader format.
- No association between use of multivitamin supplement containing vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of Type 1 Diabetes in the child.
- Zinc and Other Metals Deficiencies and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes: An Ecological Study in the High Risk Sardinia Island. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hemoglobin A1c and Self-Monitored Average Glucose: Validation of the Dynamical Tracking eA1c Algorithm in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Protocol for systematic review of evidence on the determinants and influence of early glycaemic control in childhood-onset type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Panretinal Photocoagulation vs Intravitreous Ranibizumab for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy: A Randomized Clinical Trial. See also Anti-VEGF Pharmacotherapy as an Alternative to Panretinal Laser Photocoagulation for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy.
11 November 2015
- Association of Early Exposure of Probiotics and Islet Autoimmunity in the TEDDY Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link (free membership required for access to PDF). See also A Glimpse of Microbial Power in Preventive Medicine and Infants at Risk of Type 1 Diabetes Benefit from Early Probiotics.
- A novel method to detect pressure-induced sensor attenuations (PISA) in an artificial pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Postprandial capillary-venous glucose gradient in Type 1 diabetes: magnitude and clinical associations in a real-world setting.
- Evaluation of the Average Daily Risk Range as a Measure of Glycemic Variability in Youths with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Design and Evaluation of a Robust PID Controller for a Fully Implantable Artificial Pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Lessons From Pancreas Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes: Recurrence of Islet Autoimmunity.
- Reproducibility of In Vivo Corneal Confocal Microscopy Using an Automated Analysis Program for Detection of Diabetic Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
4 November 2015
- Single- and Dual-hormone Artificial Pancreas for Overnight Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Metabolic control after years of completing a clinical trial on sensor-augmented pump therapy.
- Efficacy and Safety of Canagliflozin, a Sodium Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitor, as Add-On to Insulin in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Variations in brain volume and growth in young children with type 1 diabetes.
- Gestational Age and Birth Weight and the Risk of Childhood Type 1 Diabetes: A Population-Based Cohort and Sibling Design Study.
- Vitamin D fortification and seasonality of birth in type 1 diabetic cases: D-tect study.
27 October 2015
- Redundancy in Glucose Sensing: Enhanced Accuracy and Reliability of an Electrochemical Redundant Sensor for Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Identification of Main Factors Explaining Glucose Dynamics During and Immediately After Moderate Exercise in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rapidly rising incidence of Type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents aged 0-19 years in Zhejiang, China, 2007 to 2013.
21 October 2015
- Towards an Earlier and Timely Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes: Is it Time to Change Criteria to Define Disease Onset?
- In vivo platelet activation and aspirin responsiveness in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Mobilization without immune depletion fails to restore immunological tolerance or preserve beta cell function in recent onset type 1 diabetes.
14 October 2015
- Immunoproteomic Profiling of Anti-Viral Antibodies in New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Using Protein Arrays.
- Genetic sharing and heritability of paediatric age of onset autoimmune diseases. Free full text available in PDF format.
7 October 2015
- 2 month evening and night closed-loop glucose control in patients with type 1 diabetes under free-living conditions: a randomised crossover trial.
- Exercise and the Development of the Artificial Pancreas: One of the More Difficult Series of Hurdles.
- Influence of remission and its duration on development of early microvascular complications in young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Development of a Smartphone Application to Capture Carbohydrate, Lipid, and Protein Contents of Daily Food: Need for Integration in Artificial Pancreas for Patients With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Type 1 diabetes prevention: Insulin vaccine undergoes second trial.
[ Current Research News | News from 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday September 28, 2016 19:05:36
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.