Current Research News
25 November 2015
- Effects of Prior Intensive Insulin Therapy and Risk Factors on Patient-Reported Visual Function Outcomes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) Cohort. Free full text available in HTML and PDF (via link) formats.
- Insulitis and β-Cell Mass in the Natural History of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) Vaccination in Infancy and Risk of Childhood Diabetes.
- Artificial Pancreas Device Systems for the Closed-Loop Control of Type 1 Diabetes: What Systems Are in Development?
- Metabolic Control With the Bio-inspired Artificial Pancreas in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A 24-Hour Randomized Controlled Crossover Study.
- Successful Application of Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Therapy After Islet Autotransplantation.
- Immune Depletion in Combination with Allogeneic Islets Permanently Restores Tolerance to Self-Antigens in Diabetic NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
17 November 2015
- Vaccinations and childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Diet, Microbiota and Immune System in Type 1 Diabetes Development and Evolution. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Coxsackievirus B5 Infection Induces Dysregulation of MicroRNAs Predicted to Target Known Type 1 Diabetes Risk Genes in Human Pancreatic Islets.
- Changing the Course of Disease in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML Reader format.
- No association between use of multivitamin supplement containing vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of Type 1 Diabetes in the child.
- Zinc and Other Metals Deficiencies and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes: An Ecological Study in the High Risk Sardinia Island. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hemoglobin A1c and Self-Monitored Average Glucose: Validation of the Dynamical Tracking eA1c Algorithm in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Protocol for systematic review of evidence on the determinants and influence of early glycaemic control in childhood-onset type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Panretinal Photocoagulation vs Intravitreous Ranibizumab for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy: A Randomized Clinical Trial. See also Anti-VEGF Pharmacotherapy as an Alternative to Panretinal Laser Photocoagulation for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy.
11 November 2015
- Association of Early Exposure of Probiotics and Islet Autoimmunity in the TEDDY Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link (free membership required for access to PDF). See also A Glimpse of Microbial Power in Preventive Medicine and Infants at Risk of Type 1 Diabetes Benefit from Early Probiotics.
- A novel method to detect pressure-induced sensor attenuations (PISA) in an artificial pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Postprandial capillary-venous glucose gradient in Type 1 diabetes: magnitude and clinical associations in a real-world setting.
- Evaluation of the Average Daily Risk Range as a Measure of Glycemic Variability in Youths with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Design and Evaluation of a Robust PID Controller for a Fully Implantable Artificial Pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Lessons From Pancreas Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes: Recurrence of Islet Autoimmunity.
- Reproducibility of In Vivo Corneal Confocal Microscopy Using an Automated Analysis Program for Detection of Diabetic Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
4 November 2015
- Single- and Dual-hormone Artificial Pancreas for Overnight Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Metabolic control after years of completing a clinical trial on sensor-augmented pump therapy.
- Efficacy and Safety of Canagliflozin, a Sodium Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitor, as Add-On to Insulin in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Variations in brain volume and growth in young children with type 1 diabetes.
- Gestational Age and Birth Weight and the Risk of Childhood Type 1 Diabetes: A Population-Based Cohort and Sibling Design Study.
- Vitamin D fortification and seasonality of birth in type 1 diabetic cases: D-tect study.
27 October 2015
- Redundancy in Glucose Sensing: Enhanced Accuracy and Reliability of an Electrochemical Redundant Sensor for Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Identification of Main Factors Explaining Glucose Dynamics During and Immediately After Moderate Exercise in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rapidly rising incidence of Type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents aged 0-19 years in Zhejiang, China, 2007 to 2013.
21 October 2015
- Towards an Earlier and Timely Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes: Is it Time to Change Criteria to Define Disease Onset?
- In vivo platelet activation and aspirin responsiveness in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Mobilization without immune depletion fails to restore immunological tolerance or preserve beta cell function in recent onset type 1 diabetes.
14 October 2015
- Immunoproteomic Profiling of Anti-Viral Antibodies in New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Using Protein Arrays.
- Genetic sharing and heritability of paediatric age of onset autoimmune diseases. Free full text available in PDF format.
7 October 2015
- 2 month evening and night closed-loop glucose control in patients with type 1 diabetes under free-living conditions: a randomised crossover trial.
- Exercise and the Development of the Artificial Pancreas: One of the More Difficult Series of Hurdles.
- Influence of remission and its duration on development of early microvascular complications in young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Development of a Smartphone Application to Capture Carbohydrate, Lipid, and Protein Contents of Daily Food: Need for Integration in Artificial Pancreas for Patients With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Type 1 diabetes prevention: Insulin vaccine undergoes second trial.
30 September 2015
- Defining Pathways for Development of Disease-Modifying Therapies in Children With Type 1 Diabetes: A Consensus Report. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Staging Presymptomatic Type 1 Diabetes: A Scientific Statement of JDRF, the Endocrine Society, and the American Diabetes Association. Free full text available in PDF format.
- American Diabetes Association and JDRF Research Symposium: Diabetes and the Microbiom.
- Alternate Approaches for Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes Drug Development and Potential Regulatory Approval: A Perspective. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Soluble RAGE and atherosclerosis in youth with type 1 diabetes: a 5-year follow-up study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Relationship between glycaemic variability and hyperglycaemic clamp-derived functional variables in (impending) type 1 diabetes.
- Shared Genetic Basis for Type 1 Diabetes, Islet Autoantibodies, and Autoantibodies Associated With Other Immune-Mediated Diseases in Families With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Long-term function of alginate encapsulated islets.
23 September 2015
- Home Use of an Artificial Beta Cell in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Stress Testing of an Artificial Pancreas System With Pizza and Exercise Leads to Improvements in the System's Fuzzy Logic Controller.
- Combining glucose monitoring and insulin delivery into a single device: current progress and ongoing challenges of the artificial pancreas.
- Topical administration of GLP-1 receptor agonists prevents retinal neurodegeneration in experimental diabetes.
- EASD: Intranasal glucagon reverses hypoglycemia in children and adolescents.
- Efficacy and safety of canagliflozin: results of an 18-week phase 2 study in patients with type 1 diabetes. See also Invokana lowers HbA1c and aids weight loss in adults with type 1 diabetes, study finds and First Data on SGLT2 Inhibitor Canagliflozin in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Update on ketoacidosis with SGLT2 inhibitors.
18 September 2015
- Cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide: a novel regulator of islet function, islet regeneration and selected gut bacteria.
- Naltrexone for treatment of impaired awareness of hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes: A randomized clinical trial.
9 September 2015
- Effect of Repeated Glucagon Doses on Hepatic Glycogen in Type 1 Diabetes: Implications for a Bihormonal Closed-Loop System.
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of various glucagon dosages at different blood glucose levels.
- After 6 years of intraperitoneal insulin administration IGF-I concentrations in T1DM patients are at low-normal level.
- Elevated Serum Levels of Soluble TNF Receptors and Adhesion Molecules Are Associated with Diabetic Retinopathy in Patients with Type-1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Risk factors associated with the development of retinopathy 10 yr after the diagnosis of juvenile-onset type 1 diabetes in Taiwan: a cohort study from the CGJDES.
- Skin collagen advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) and the long-term progression of sub-clinical cardiovascular disease in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Secular trends of body mass index in North Indian children with Type 1 Diabetes do not support the Accelerator Hypothesis.
- Real-time estimation of plasma insulin concentration from continuous glucose monitor measurements.
2 September 2015
- Unsupervised overnight closed loop insulin delivery during free living: analysis of randomised cross-over home studies in adults and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Predictive factors for prolonged remission after autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in young patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Comparison of Metabolic Outcomes in Children Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes Through Research Screening (Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young [DAISY]) Versus in the Community.
- Insulin-Producing Endocrine Cells Differentiated In Vitro From Human Embryonic Stem Cells Function in Macroencapsulation Devices In Vivo.
- Diabetes Is Reversed in a Murine Model by Marginal Mass Syngeneic Islet Transplantation Using a Subcutaneous Cell Pouch Device. Free full text PDF available via link on journal web page.
26 August 2015
- Caesarean section per se does not increase the risk of offspring developing type 1 diabetes: a Swedish population-based study.
- Glycemic Stability Through Islet-After-Kidney Transplantation Using an Alemtuzumab-Based Induction Regimen and Long-Term Triple-Maintenance Immunosuppression.
- Proteomic Analysis of Disease Stratified Human Pancreas Tissue Indicates Unique Signature of Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
19 August 2015
- Type 1 Diabetes Modifies Brain Activation in Young Patients While Performing Visuospatial Working Memory Tasks.
- Extreme Beta-Cell Deficiency in Pancreata of Dogs with Canine Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Penn/Baylor Med Study Describes Underlying Cause of Diabetes in Dogs.
- Prolonged antibiotic treatment induces a diabetogenic intestinal microbiome that accelerates diabetes in NOD mice.
12 August 2015
- Feasibility of screening for T1D and celiac disease in a pediatric clinic settin.
- Safety, efficacy and glucose turnover of reduced prandial boluses during closed-loop therapy in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: a randomized clinical trial.
- Influenza A virus antibodies show no association with pancreatic islet autoantibodies in children genetically predisposed to type 1 diabetes.
- Genome-wide analysis of DNA methylation in subjects with type 1 diabetes identifies epigenetic modifications associated with proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Kidney Dysfunction in Adult Offspring Exposed In Utero to Type 1 Diabetes Is Associated with Alterations in Genome-Wide DNA Methylation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Urinary MicroRNA Profiling Predicts the Development of Microalbuminuria in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML Reader format.
5 August 2015
- Artificial Pancreas Updates From ADA (July 2015).
- Multisite Study of an Implanted Continuous Glucose Sensor Over 90 Days in Patients With Diabetes Mellitus.
- Regular peaks and troughs in the Australian incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus (2000-2011).
29 July 2015
- Prediction and prevention of type 1 diabetes: update on success of prediction and struggles at prevention.
- Adjustment of Open-Loop Settings to Improve Closed-Loop Results in Type 1 Diabetes: A Multicenter Randomized Trial.
- Infant Feeding and Timing of Complementary Foods in the Development of Type 1 Diabetes.
22 July 2015
- Alefacept provides sustained clinical and immunological effects in new-onset type 1 diabetes patients.
- Long-Term Immunosuppression After Solitary Islet Transplantation Is Associated With Preserved C-Peptide Secretion for More Than a Decade.
- Trends in Incidence Rates during 1999-2008 and Prevalence in 2008 of Childhood Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in GERMANY - Model-Based National Estimates. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Explaining the increased mortality in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- An observational study of patient characteristics and mortality following hypoglycemia in the community. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Long-Term Home Study on Nocturnal Hypoglycemic Alarms Using a New Fully Implantable Continuous Glucose Monitoring System in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid and Antioxidant Diet Help to Improve Endothelial Dysfunction in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
15 July 2015
- Sensitivity of the Predictive Hypoglycemia Minimizer System to the Algorithm Aggressiveness Factor.
- Early Detection of Physical Activity for People With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Inhaled Formoterol Diminishes Insulin-Induced Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Inhaled Formoterol Prevents Hypoglycemia in Diabetes Study.
- Clinically Relevant Cognitive Impairment in Middle-Aged Adults With Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Role of Markers of Low-Grade Inflammation for the Early Time Course of Glycemic Control, Glucose Disappearance Rate, and beta-Cell Function in Recently Diagnosed Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Dietary intake of soluble fiber and risk of islet autoimmunity by 5 y of age: results from the TEDDY study.
- Islet autoantibody phenotypes and incidence in children at increased risk for type 1 diabetes.
1 July 2015
- Parasitic helminths and their beneficial impact on type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Nocturnal Glucose Metabolism in Type 1 Diabetes: A Study Comparing Single Versus Dual Tracer Approaches.
- Compromised immune response in infants at risk for type 1 diabetes born by Caesarean Section.
- Maternal VDR variants rather than 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration during early pregnancy are associated with type 1 diabetes in the offspring.
- Ethnic differences in the incidence of type 1 diabetes in Norway: a register-based study using data from the period 2002-200.
- A comprehensive review of the pharmacodynamics of the SGLT2 inhibitor empagliflozin in animals and humans.
[ Current Research News | News from 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday November 25, 2015 20:20:15
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.