Current Research News
3 February 2016
- First report on the nationwide incidence and prevalence of Type 1 diabetes among children in Turkey.
- Beta-cell mass in non-diabetic autoantibody-positive subjects: an analysis based on the nPOD database.
- Significant elevation of serum dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity in young-adult type 1 diabetes.
- Recognition of ZnT8, Proinsulin, and Homologous MAP Peptides in Sardinian Children at Risk of T1D Precedes Detection of Classical Islet Antibodies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Implication of Cytotoxic Helicobacter pylori Infection in Autoimmune Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Resting beta-cells - A functional reserve?
- High glucose-induced hyperosmolarity contributes to COX-2 expression and angiogenesis: implications for diabetic retinopathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
27 January 2016
- Long-term glycemic control using polymer-encapsulated human stem cell–derived beta cells in immune-competent mice. See also Potential diabetes treatment advances and No more insulin injections?
- The Effects of Empagliflozin, an SGLT2 Inhibitor, on Pancreatic β-Cell Mass and Glucose Homeostasis in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effect of Vitamins C and E on Endothelial Function in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Life expectancy of type 1 diabetic patients during 1997-2010: a national Australian registry-based cohort study.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring, Future Products, and Update on Worldwide Artificial Pancreas Projects.
- Hypomethylation within gene promoter regions and type 1 diabetes in discordant monozygotic twins.
- Viral vector mediated continuous expression of interleukin-10 in DRG alleviates pain in type 1 diabetic animals.
20 January 2016
- Oral Probiotic VSL#3 Prevents Autoimmune Diabetes by Modulating Microbiota and Promoting Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase-Enriched Tolerogenic Intestinal Environment.
13 January 2016
- Day-and-Night Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: A Free-Living, Randomized Clinical Trial.
- The role of the intestinal microbiota in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Severe epidermal nerve fiber loss in diabetic neuropathy is not reversed by long-term normoglycemia after simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation.
- Retinal Neuronal and Vascular Function in Type 1 Diabetes Adults during Glycaemic Clamps.
- The Effect of Long-Acting Insulin Analogs on the Risk of Cancer: A Systematic Review of Observational Studies.
6 January 2016
- The role of the intestinal microbiota in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Variations in Brain Volume and Growth in Young Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impaired Awareness of Hypoglycemia in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Is Not Associated With Autonomic Dysfunction or Peripheral Neuropathy.
- Use of genetically-engineered pig donors in islet transplantation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Human pancreatic beta-like cells converted from fibroblasts. See also Insulin-producing pancreatic cells created from human skin cells.
- Combination Stem-Cell Transplant May Benefit Type 1 Diabetes. Free Medscape membership required.
30 December 2015
- Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations in Children Progressing to Autoimmunity and Clinical Type 1 Diabetes.
- Low vitamin D level in pediatric patients with new onset type 1 diabetes is common, especially if in ketoacidosis.
- Genetic and environmental factors affect the onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Insulin knockout mice have extended survival but volatile blood glucose levels on leptin therapy.
24 December 2015
- Intranasal Glucagon for Treatment of Insulin-Induced Hypoglycemia in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Crossover Noninferiority Study.
- The artificial pancreas: challenges and opportunities. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Toward Automation of Insulin Delivery - Management Solutions for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Islet Transplantation in Pediatric Patients: Current Indications and Future Perspectives.
- The Haptoglobin genotype predicts cardio-renal mortality in type 1 diabetes.
- The implications of autoantibodies to a single islet antigen in relatives with normal glucose tolerance: development of other autoantibodies and progression to type 1 diabetes.
- Early Neurodegeneration of the Inner Retinal Layers in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Phase 2 Study of the Glucagon Receptor Antagonist LY2409021 in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes.
16 December 2015
- Therapies to Preserve β-Cell Function in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Pancreas Islet Transplantation for Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Clinical Evidence Review. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Evidence of Extrapancreatic Glucagon Secretion in Man.
9 December 2015
- Infant Growth and Risk of Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes in Children From 2 Scandinavian Birth Cohorts See also Weight Gain in Infancy and Type 1 Diabetes Might Be Related.
- Reduced β-cell function in early preclinical type 1 diabetes.
- Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stromal Cell With Autologous Bone Marrow Cell Transplantation in Established Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Open-Label Clinical Study to Assess Safety and Impact on Insulin Secretion.
- Immunoablation and autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the treatment of new-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus: long-term observations.
- Substantial proportion of MODY among multiplex families participating in a Type 1 diabetes prediction programme.
- Saxagliptin co-therapy in C-peptide-negative Type 1 diabetes does not improve counter-regulatory responses to hypoglycaemia.
1 December 2015
- Type 1 diabetes immunotherapy using polyclonal regulatory T cells. See also End of daily injections for diabetes as scientists restore insulin production.
- Ketoacidosis at diagnosis in childhood-onset diabetes and the risk of retinopathy 20years later.
- Insulitis and characterisation of infiltrating T cells in surgical pancreatic tail resections from patients at onset of type 1 diabetes.
- The impact of having siblings - analysis of "hygiene theory" of chronic diseases in patients with type 1 diabetes in population of the Lodz region.
- Vitamin D status in youth with type 1 and type 2 diabetes enrolled in the Pediatric Diabetes Consortium (PDC) is not worse than in youth without diabetes.
- A Comparative Analysis of the Safety, Efficacy, and Cost of Islet Versus Pancreas Transplantation in Nonuremic Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Progress and challenges in macroencapsulation approaches for type 1 diabetes (T1D) treatment: Cells, biomaterials, and devices.
- Diabetic pancreas cells made to produce insulin by bone protein.
25 November 2015
- Effects of Prior Intensive Insulin Therapy and Risk Factors on Patient-Reported Visual Function Outcomes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) Cohort. Free full text available in HTML and PDF (via link) formats.
- Insulitis and β-Cell Mass in the Natural History of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) Vaccination in Infancy and Risk of Childhood Diabetes.
- Artificial Pancreas Device Systems for the Closed-Loop Control of Type 1 Diabetes: What Systems Are in Development?
- Metabolic Control With the Bio-inspired Artificial Pancreas in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A 24-Hour Randomized Controlled Crossover Study.
- Successful Application of Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Therapy After Islet Autotransplantation.
- Immune Depletion in Combination with Allogeneic Islets Permanently Restores Tolerance to Self-Antigens in Diabetic NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
17 November 2015
- Vaccinations and childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Diet, Microbiota and Immune System in Type 1 Diabetes Development and Evolution. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Coxsackievirus B5 Infection Induces Dysregulation of MicroRNAs Predicted to Target Known Type 1 Diabetes Risk Genes in Human Pancreatic Islets.
- Changing the Course of Disease in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML Reader format.
- No association between use of multivitamin supplement containing vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of Type 1 Diabetes in the child.
- Zinc and Other Metals Deficiencies and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes: An Ecological Study in the High Risk Sardinia Island. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hemoglobin A1c and Self-Monitored Average Glucose: Validation of the Dynamical Tracking eA1c Algorithm in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Protocol for systematic review of evidence on the determinants and influence of early glycaemic control in childhood-onset type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Panretinal Photocoagulation vs Intravitreous Ranibizumab for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy: A Randomized Clinical Trial. See also Anti-VEGF Pharmacotherapy as an Alternative to Panretinal Laser Photocoagulation for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy.
11 November 2015
- Association of Early Exposure of Probiotics and Islet Autoimmunity in the TEDDY Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link (free membership required for access to PDF). See also A Glimpse of Microbial Power in Preventive Medicine and Infants at Risk of Type 1 Diabetes Benefit from Early Probiotics.
- A novel method to detect pressure-induced sensor attenuations (PISA) in an artificial pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Postprandial capillary-venous glucose gradient in Type 1 diabetes: magnitude and clinical associations in a real-world setting.
- Evaluation of the Average Daily Risk Range as a Measure of Glycemic Variability in Youths with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Design and Evaluation of a Robust PID Controller for a Fully Implantable Artificial Pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Lessons From Pancreas Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes: Recurrence of Islet Autoimmunity.
- Reproducibility of In Vivo Corneal Confocal Microscopy Using an Automated Analysis Program for Detection of Diabetic Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
4 November 2015
- Single- and Dual-hormone Artificial Pancreas for Overnight Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Metabolic control after years of completing a clinical trial on sensor-augmented pump therapy.
- Efficacy and Safety of Canagliflozin, a Sodium Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitor, as Add-On to Insulin in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Variations in brain volume and growth in young children with type 1 diabetes.
- Gestational Age and Birth Weight and the Risk of Childhood Type 1 Diabetes: A Population-Based Cohort and Sibling Design Study.
- Vitamin D fortification and seasonality of birth in type 1 diabetic cases: D-tect study.
27 October 2015
- Redundancy in Glucose Sensing: Enhanced Accuracy and Reliability of an Electrochemical Redundant Sensor for Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Identification of Main Factors Explaining Glucose Dynamics During and Immediately After Moderate Exercise in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rapidly rising incidence of Type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents aged 0-19 years in Zhejiang, China, 2007 to 2013.
21 October 2015
- Towards an Earlier and Timely Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes: Is it Time to Change Criteria to Define Disease Onset?
- In vivo platelet activation and aspirin responsiveness in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Mobilization without immune depletion fails to restore immunological tolerance or preserve beta cell function in recent onset type 1 diabetes.
14 October 2015
- Immunoproteomic Profiling of Anti-Viral Antibodies in New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Using Protein Arrays.
- Genetic sharing and heritability of paediatric age of onset autoimmune diseases. Free full text available in PDF format.
7 October 2015
- 2 month evening and night closed-loop glucose control in patients with type 1 diabetes under free-living conditions: a randomised crossover trial.
- Exercise and the Development of the Artificial Pancreas: One of the More Difficult Series of Hurdles.
- Influence of remission and its duration on development of early microvascular complications in young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Development of a Smartphone Application to Capture Carbohydrate, Lipid, and Protein Contents of Daily Food: Need for Integration in Artificial Pancreas for Patients With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Type 1 diabetes prevention: Insulin vaccine undergoes second trial.
[ Current Research News | News from 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday February 03, 2016 22:57:12
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.