ADA Petition for a CureAs you may already know, the American Diabetes Association has launched a worldwide petition drive in support of finding a cure for diabetes.
Our goal is to collect 1 million signatures by mid-January 2000. Then we will present them at ADA's Rally for a Cure in Washington, DC in March. This will show Congress that finding a cure for diabetes has huge public support.
Even though the petition drive is just a few weeks old, we've collected more than 15,000 signatures already. Two years ago we collected 275,000 signatures. But if we're going to reach our goal of 1 million signatures, we need every person in the diabetes community collecting signatures. That includes you.
Finding a cure is incentive enough to collect signatures. But sometimes you need a little bit more to get your juices flowing. That's why we're offering great prizes.
The grand prize is a free trip to Washington to attend the Rally for a Cure! To claim this prize, all you need to do is collect 2,500 signatures on the petition and return them to us in one lump sum (not multiple mailings) by January 15, 2000.
Here's the other great prizes we're offering:
Who can sign? Anyone and everyone! That includes kids, people not registered to vote, non-American citizens - anyone! A person doesn't even need to "sign" the petition. As long as they say it's OK, you can add their name to it. That way you can even collect names by telephone, fax or email!
- Bronze (100 signatures) - Lapel pin, bumper sticker, ADA book (Winning with Diabetes or The Dinosaur Tamer) and Certificate of Appreciation.
- Silver (250 signatures) - Same as Bronze, plus limited edition T-shirt and name published in Diabetes Advocate.
- Gold (500 signatures) - Same as Silver, except limited edition sweatshirt instead of T-shirt and photo also published in Diabetes Advocate.
- Millennium (1000 signatures) - Same as Gold, except Advocacy Achievement Award replaces Certificate of Appreciation plus name and photo also published in Diabetes Forecast.
- Pinnacle (2500 signatures) - Same as Millennium, plus one free round-trip airfare and hotel accommodations to attend Rally for a Cure in Washington in March 2000.
Hopefully, with more than 6 months to collect signatures, you can reach these lofty goals. A copy of the petition is attached to this message. You can also print a copy online at www.diabetes.org/advocacy/petition. We can also mail you copies if you send us your mailing address.
I'll provide regular updates on the petition drive as well as other ways we're leading the fight to find a cure for diabetes. As always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments.
Many thanks you for your continued support of diabetes advocacy and the American Diabetes Association.
Leading the fight to find a cure for diabetes.
Sign the petition in support of a cure at www.diabetes.org/advocacy/petition
Download a Microsoft Word version of the petition
National Director of Advocacy
American Diabetes Association
1660 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Posted 13 June 1999
Last Updated: Thursday February 27, 2014 19:28:21
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.