Diabetes News in the Popular Press
9 January 2019
VICTORY for pregnant women with type 1 diabetes: wearable medical tech to be provided by NHS England.
CES 2019: This mobile handset aims to simplify type 1 diabetes management.
How powerlifting is helping women control type 1 diabetes.
Local football star battles disease on and off the field.
Analysts predict Medtronic will lose ground in booming insulin pump market.
26 December 2018
- Novartis, China's Gan & Lee push into insulin amid diabetes epidemic.
- MCG researchers say most important work still ahead for Type I diabetes.
- The doctor will see you now — and you, and you, and you.
- How Novant Health CEO Carl Armato's Type 1 diabetes changed the lives of more than 6,000 patients.
- Insulin cost: Taking my own advice and taking it personally.
- Beta Bionics Wins Readers' Choice for Medtech Company of the Year.
19 December 2018
- Jaguars fan with diabetes shares frustrations during trip to stadium.
- Local 8-year-old tells Santa all she wants for Christmas is for her sister’s diabetes to go away.
- Four decades as a diabetic.
- Certain devices can mitigate the risks of Type 1 diabetes — but only for those who can afford them.
- West Kelowna girl takes aim at Type 1 diabetes.
- First 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 to Get Auctioned.
- Soaring insulin prices cause Minnesota lawmakers to draft remedies.
- Real costs of rising insulin prices hit home for QC family.
12 December 2018
- Parents of Type 1 diabetic children advocate for better management of condition at school.
- Local teacher credits technology for making life with diabetes easier.
- 15-year-old Utahn is starring in a Netflix series, and he hopes it helps him spread awareness of Type 1 diabetes.
- Isolation and ignorance make life with Type 1 Diabetes in a rural area a lonely one.
- Bret Michaels reveals recent struggles with diabetes after performing at charity concert.
- The cost of diabetes: young students battle an invisible disease.
- Woman forced to ration diabetes medication due to high costs.
- 'We're Fighting For Our Lives' — Patients Protest Sky-High Insulin Prices.
- ‘It Is Our Life Support’: Diabetics, Families Meet With Lawmakers Amid Skyrocketing Insulin Prices.
- Diabetics fight back as insulin prices skyrocket.
- Minnesota Lawmakers Open Discussions On High Insulin Costs.
5 December 2018
- Snowboarder with diabetes inspires kids dealing with disease.
- Pioneering type 1 technology attracts Royal visit.
- Mom to mom: How to cope with your child’s type 1 diabetes diagnosis.
- Federal government improves access for sufferers of type 1 diabetes.
- Teen with Type 1 diabetes reminds classmates it's no laughing matter.
- 4-year-old Sumter girl uses latest technology to manage diabetes.
- Marian Central grad has traveled the world as a food scientist.
- Diabetic schoolboy defies doctors to play in Dubai Rugby Sevens.
- ViaCyte raises $80 million for diabetes therapy.
- Is the world heading for an insulin shortage?
28 November 2018
- Lack of insulin could affect 40 million people with diabetes by 2030, study finds.
- UM study testing whether Omega 3 and vitamin D can halt progression of Type 1 diabetes.
- Hacking Diabetes: A Johns Hopkins lecturer uses #OpenAPS to control her diabetes.
- Young Chiefs fan with type 1 diabetes gets surprise of a lifetime.
- Middletown sisters with Type 1 diabetes lean on one another.
- Learning to live with diabetes as a child or teen.
- New Jersey hosts first awareness day for type 1 diabetes.
- Kings County boy teaches classmates about life with type 1 diabetes.
- Leeds Children’s Hospital Type 1 Diabetes patient first in country to get artificial pancreas.
- How getting off insulin changed her life.
- Insulin pumps linked to more reports of injury and death than any other medical device, records show.
- Medical Devices Harm Patients Worldwide As Governments Fail On Safety.
21 November 2018
- World Diabetes Day 2018: Myths And Facts About The Disease.
- DIY diabetes management: An ethical dilemma.
- Type 1 Diabetes: The daily struggles of dealing with the invisible, incurable disease.
- UPMC Childrenâ€™s Hospital Researchers Working On â€˜Groundbreakingâ€™ Procedure To Cure Diabetes.
- World Diabetes Day: 'What I wish people knew about my condition'.
- 'I can still do everything everyone else can'.
- Patients hacking type 1 diabetes with DIY artificial pancreas.
- Columbus mother shares story of 1-year-old son diagnosed with diabetes.
- Smiles and laughs, despite diabetes.
- Nick Jonas Opens Up About Type 1 Diabetes in Emotional Instagram Post.
- This Is The Shocking Cost Of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Local school supports student with Type 1 diabetes.
- How my misdiagnosed type 1 diabetes nearly killed me.
- Pennsylvania legislators, provider warn of missed type 1 diabetes diagnoses in young children.
- Quebec to consider covering cost of continuous diabetes monitoring.
- Diabetes glucose monitors 'available to thousands more'.
- Oregonians Pay Way More Than They Should For Insulin. One Couple Is Fighting to Change That.
13 November 2018
- This pediatrician will be the only female doctor serving in Congress (she has type 1 diabetes).
- The Good News About Diabetes.
- Diabetes advocate shares personal journey to inspire hope.
- How medical devices like pacemakers and insulin pumps can be hacked.
- People with type 1 diabetes 'missing out on life-changing glucose monitors'.
- Dakabin teen goes in to bat for diabetics over glucose monitors.
- Unexpected gift from ESPN star boosts fundraiser for 10-year-old with type 1 diabetes.
- Ron Powlus III embracing life and football with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Mum's horror as daughter almost ends up in life-threatening coma after doctors told her it was 'just a virus'.
- The Cost of Living: The skyrocketing price of a lifesaving medication.
- Protesters take anger over insulin prices to drug makers, some bearing childrenâ€™s ashes.
7 November 2018
- Diabetics are hacking old insulin pumps to make them smarter â€” here's what happened when I tried it.
- Parents question nurseâ€™s treatment of student with diabetes.
- What the diabetes community wants you to know.
- Rising insulin prices put squeeze on Oklahomans with diabetes.
- Karlen opens up on Type 1 Diabetes.
- The $250 Biohack Thatâ€™s Revolutionizing Life With Diabetes.
31 October 2018
- Open-Source Artificial Pancreas Technology Lifts the Burden of Type 1 Diabetes. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Cases of Type 1 diabetes diagnosed after the age of 30 are frequently not identified and may be misdiagnosed as Type 2 diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes wonâ€™t stop Vancouver woman from running New York City Marathon.
- Rugby player with type 1 diabetes in FreeStyle Libre mission.
- Diabetics ration insulin because of escalating cost.
24 October 2018
- Discovery, Interrupted: How World War I delayed a treatment for diabetes and derailed one manâ€™s chance at immortality.
- Type 1 Diabetes Often Misdiagnosed in Adults.
- Mother believes daughterâ€™s diabetic testing machine is being used by others at her school.
- Diabetes canâ€™t stop from reaching the top â€“ proved by children with diabetes.
- Cambridge Girl Writes Book to Help Sister, Raise Awareness About Type 1 Diabetes.
- Athletes with Type 1 diabetes find support system.
- 10-year-old Chesapeake boy gets wish of meeting Ed Sheeran fulfilled.
- Greensboro Mayor Nancy Vaughan wants her Type I diabetes to help raise awareness.
- Welsh rugby star celebrates international recall after type 1 diabetes diagnosis.
- INPUT and JDRF announce charity merger.
19 October 2018
- These Pewaukee parents knew nothing about diabetes before their baby was diagnosed with it. Now they're teaching others.
- Athletes with Type 1 diabetes find support system.
- Summit Academy defensive lineman doesn't let diabetes diagnosis stop him from standout senior season.
- New Face finalist Alexis Cook isn't letting Type 1 Diabetes stop her.
- Our love was a stack of pancakes covered in butter, maple syrup and whipped cream. And then it wasnâ€™t.
10 October 2018
- DIY diabetic systems.
- Type 1 diabetes often misdiagnosed in adults.
- Class about Type 1 diabetes has a twist: All the students are living with the disease.
3 October 2018
- From Super Bowl champ to patient ambassador â€” Kendall Simmons on his battle with diabetes.
- 89-year-old diabetes patient thrives on insulin for more than 8 decades.
- House candidate runs across Ohio to fight rising drug costs.
- Dozens of marchers protest insulin prices, ask for transparency from Eli Lilly.
- Mom Warns Parents After 2-Year-Old Dies from Undiagnosed Diabetes: 'Become Aware of the Signs'.
26 September 2018
- Family receives airport apology after daughter told her medication would make plane crash.
- Chicago Public Schools manager advised nurses to cut back on services for diabetic kids.
- Pennsylvania girl with diabetes dies after blood sugar drops during sleepover, family says.
19 September 2018
- UnitedHealthcare gives 20-year guarantee to boyâ€™s insulin coverage after Inquirer article.
- Diabetes Patients Are Hacking Together the Tech They Need. Doctors Are Just Tuning In.
- Diabetes: Livesaving Insulin Is Cripplingly Expensiveâ€”but DIY Drug Makers Could Be About to Change That.
- FMCSA Drops Exemption Process for Insulin-Treated Diabetic Drivers.
- Ravens rookie tight end Mark Andrews inspires fellow Type 1 diabetics to follow their dreams.
- Teddy bear helps families deal with type 1 diabetes.
- Muhammad Ali fights and wins to become first UK boxer with type 1 diabetes. See also Muhammad Ali to become first British diabetic boxer this weekend after battle to obtain licence.
12 September 2018
- Some diabetics making tough choices as insulin prices spike.
- Boy, 3, saves diabetic motherâ€™s life after her blood sugar levels crash.
- Users Create DIY Hack Of Diabetes Management Devices.
- Louisville donor provides $500K gift to UofL for type 1 diabetes research.
5 September 2018
- 5 Things Iâ€™m Sick of Hearing as Someone With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Families ride the roller-coaster of type 1 diabetes.
- 15-year-old with Type 1 diabetes is â€˜draftedâ€™ by Vanguard University volleyball team.
- Students with chronic conditions face a stiff burden.
- Manchin speaks with family who suffers from a pre-existing condition.
- Rising cost of insulin a challenge to many diabetic Kansans.
- Insulin's High Cost Leads To Lethal Rationing.
29 August 2018
- Playing football with diabetes just part of the game for Decatur fullback.
- For Cubs pitcher, tickets to raise money for juvenile diabetes research are personal.
- Students teach kids how to manage Type 1 diabetes at Camp Conrad Chinnock.
22 August 2018
- For DIY â€˜loopers,â€™ diabetes educators play important role.
- Novo Nordisk celebrating decade of Kimball partnership. See also IndyCar racer Charlie Kimball beating diabetes and opponents.
- The Future of OpenAPS with Dana Lewis.
- Pilots land in Prairie while advocating for flying with diabetes. See also T1D Duo Breaks World Record in Flight.
- Individuals with Type 1 diabetes in Houston should plan for emergencies.
- Itâ€™s a dangerous eating disorder that affects people with diabetes. So why havenâ€™t you heard of it?
- New medical specialty needed to manage growing number of Americans with diabetes.
15 August 2018
- Can CGM Be a Game Changer for Pilots With Type 1 Diabetes? Two Men on a Mission Say Yes.
- Rwanda: Team Novo Nordisk fights for respect, diabetes education with Lozanoâ€™s stage win.
- Chris Dudley Basketball Camp: A unique experience for kids with type-1 diabetes.
- New diabetes technology introduced first in Mid-South.
- Nitro teen not letting diabetes keep him off the football field.
- Wales rugby international Tyler Morgan diagnosed with diabetes.
- Annual tennis tourney aids in diabetes fight.
- Tandem Diabetes: Beneath The Numbers, The Story Is More Impressive.
- Insulin prices are skyrocketing, affecting families in SWFL.
- Rising Insulin Prices Push Woman to Buy Medicine on Craigslist.
- New Contact Lenses Could Help Patients With Diabetes Keep Vision Longer.
8 August 2018
- The $250 Biohack Thatâ€™s Revolutionizing Life With Diabetes.
- Driving with Diabetes: One Racer's Story.
- Dublin girl fights through diabetes to earn MMA black belt.
- 2 farmers, 2 tractors on an epic journey to Alaska, raising money for Type 1 diabetes research.
- Giving kids with diabetes a chance to go camping.
1 August 2018
- Bioengineered human 'pseudoislets' aim to improve treatments for type 1 diabetes.
- Brexit: Millions of diabetes patients could be 'seriously disadvantaged' by insulin shortages if no deal reached. See also As someone with diabetes, I'm prepared to secure my own insulin supply before Brexit â€“ because I don't trust the government to do it.
- World-class triathlete Ryan Jones doesnâ€™t let diabetes slow him down.
- Stu Cowan: Canadiens' Max Domi inspired by fellow diabetic Bobby Clarke.
- In bid for diabetes market, Medtronic, among others, talking money.
25 July 2018
- When insurers drop medications for cheap alternatives, the effects can be devastating for some patients.
- Mother shares the outrageous cost of insulin for her daughter.
- Experience: I built my own pancreas.
- UF doctorsâ€™ videos, book aid Type 1 diabetics.
- Saliva could provide a painless type 1 diabetes test for children.
- Labour MP claims postcode lottery is blocking type 1 diabetes technology access.
19 July 2018
- Former â€˜American Idolâ€™ runner-up visits Fort Mill diabetes day camp.
- Kimball's Toronto car highlights Diabetes Canada partnership .
- What is on Theresa Mayâ€™s arm, what are the patches for and is she a diabetic?
- Inhalable insulin provides alternative to needles for millions living with diabetes.
4 July 2018
- Camp Nolohi focuses on children with diabetes.
- Transplant surgeon changed Type 1 diabetes treatment the world over.
- Ketogenic dieters strip pharmacies of life-saving tests for diabetics.
27 June 2018
- Koala with Diabetes at San Diego Zoo Receives Help from New Technology.
- Liberty Twp. girl to be juvenile diabetes ambassador.
- Diabetes Patients at Risk From Rising Insulin Prices.
- Utah families with diabetic kids are going to extremes to afford insulin.
- Ravens rookie Mark Andrews refuses to be defined by diabetes.
- Hixson boy with type 1 diabetes gets a special Riverbend surprise.
20 June 2018
- Kids with Type 1 diabetes become friends after chance encounter at rodeo.
- Fighting the stigma of diabetes: helping young people speak out about their disease.
- Texas officer buys groceries for man who had his stolen when he fainted outside.
- Why does my health insurer sabotage my efforts to manage my diabetes?
- Study: Almost half of diabetics skip medical care due to costs.
13 June 2018
- New device makes life easier for family of diabetic twin toddlers.
- Cutting-edge tech makes diabetes management easier (and less painful) than ever.
- Diabetes 'technological wave' has too much upside to ignore: JP Morgan.
- NDP government to cover cost of insulin pumps for diabetic patients of any age.
- The medicine keeping her alive was also killing her.
- Diabetes hasn't stopped Charlie Kimball from chasing his IndyCar dreams.
- Chronic Illness and Tragedy Turn Teen into Pharma-fighting Advocate.
- Hochman: 'Diabetic Phenom' â€” that's Cardinals rookie Jordan Hicks.
- What it's like to live with Type 1 Diabetes at university.
- Needle-free: 10-year Study Shows Rare Diabetes May Be Treated With Tablets.
6 June 2018
- San Antonio bodybuilder makes strides in her goals while living with Type 1 diabetes.
- International Welsh sprinter with Type 1 diabetes to inspire youngsters.
- Golfer with type 1 diabetes sets sights on next championship victory.
Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press |
Last Updated: Wednesday January 09, 2019 21:37:51
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.