Successful management of diabetes is as much about information as it is about insulin or oral medications. Diabetes Basics is designed to supplement the information you receive from your Diabetes Team. Always consult your Diabetes Team before making any changes in your diabetes management.
- What is Type 1 Diabetes?
- Type 2 and Double Diabetes in kids
- What is Type 2 Diabetes?
- What is Gestational Diabetes?
- Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA)
- Could You Have Diabetes And Not Know It?
- Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes
- The Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes
- Body Weight and Health Risk
- ADHD and Diabetes
- Celiac Disease
- Neonatal Diabetes - Diagnosis Before Age 1
- Persistent Hyperinsulinaemic Hypoglycaemia of Infancy (PHHI)
- The Prevalence of Diabetes in the US
- What Do We Really Know About Why Type 1 Is Rising?
- Care Suggestions
- What is Insulin?
- Symlin® (pramlintide acetate)
- The "Un-Tethered" Regimen by Dr. Steve Edelman offers pump users an alternative strategy by combing a pump with Lantus
- The Average Daily Risk Range Variability Index can help you understand your glucose levels
- Drinking with Diabetes is a resource for young adults with type 1 (and their parents).
- What To Do When You Give the Wrong Insulin Dose
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Diabetes
- Blood Sugar Converter (md/dl to/from mmol/l)
- Alternate Site Testing
- The Dead in Bed Syndrome
- Guidelines for Treating Lows by Age
- Glucagon Emergency Kit
- Mini-Dose Glucagon Rescue for Hypoglycemia in Children With Type 1 Diabetes
- Hyperglycemia and Ketone Testing
- Treatment of DKA
- Prevention of DKA
- HbA1c Measurement
- Continuous Glucose Sensing
- Foot care for adults with diabetes
- Diabetes Myths
- Sick Days
- Flu Shots
- Traveling with Diabetes
- Flying with Diabetes
- Flying with an Insulin Pump
- Breastfeeding the Type 1 Diabetic Child.
- Generation D: A young adult's guide to diabetes self-management, published by the Canadian Diabetes Association, is a great resource for young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Multicultural Diabetes Materials offers diabetes health information in Amharic, Cambodian, English, Oromo, Somali, Spanish, Tigrean, and Viet.
- The American Dental Association published a special supplement to their professional journal about Diabetes and Oral Health. Within this supplement are many excellent articles in PDF format.
Advice and Guidelines
- Advice for Newly Diagnosed Parents and Kids
- Child Developmental Issues by Age
- Diabetes Emergency Kit - What You Need
- American Diabetes Association: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes - 2017
- The Management of Type 1 Diabetes and Management of Type-1 and Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus in Children offer current guidelines on caring for diabetes in children.
- Diabetes at School
- New Insulin Delivery Recommendations (PDF) are a must-read for everyone using multiple daily injections. See also Forum for Injection Technique & Therapy Expert Recommendations (FITTER).
- Standards of Clinical Care
- National Diabetes Education Program
- Diabetes in the Workplace and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- The British Columbia Medical Association offers Celiac disease: A review
- What Are Clinical Trials?
- Stem Cell Research
- JDRF Artificial Pancreas Project
- Type 1 Diabetes and the Environment
- The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT)
- NIDDK Statement
- ADA Position Statement
- Abstract from The New England Journal of Medicine
- Clinical Trials
- Research into Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes. Current studies include:
- The Natural History Study of the Development of Type 1 Diabetes will study people at increased risk for type 1 diabetes to learn more about how type 1 diabetes occurs.
- The MMF/DZB Study will see if it is possible to stop the immune system from destroying beta cells in new onset type 1 diabetes patients (within 3 months of diagnosis).
- DAISY (Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young)
- Diabetes Prevention Trial - Type 1 Report
- TRIGR (Trial to Reduce Insulin-Dependent Diabetes in the Genetically at Risk)
- Immunizations and Type 1 diabetes
- Research into a Cure
- Research into Complications
- Pancreatic Islet Transplantation offers an excellent overview of islet transplantation. Also available in PDF format.
- Center Watch has a listing of Clinical Trials: Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1.
- Diabulimia Helpline (US) and Diabetics with Eating Disorders (UK) offer help for people with type 1 who are struggling with eating disorders.
- Presentations About Diabetes
- Advice on Cyberquackery
For Additional Information
- The International Diabetes Federation has published its updated Diabetes Atlas.
- Foundation Data Report: The Size of the Population Impacted by Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes Education Online from the University of California, San Francisco
- ISPAD Clinical Practice Consensus Guidelines 2014
- AACE Diabetes Resource Center
- The ADA reports on the Economic Costs of Diabetes in the U.S. in 2012. (PDF)
- University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) Diabetes Teaching Center.
- Diabetes Mellitus from Pediatrics / Endocrinology.
- The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada provided the Diabetes Resource Centre at AboutKidsHealth.ca. The Diabetes Resource Centre has many excellent pages of content, some of which have nicely done animations and graphics such as Just for Kids: Diabetes.
- ISPAD Rare Diabetes Reference
- Joslin's Online Classes about Diabetes
- Microvascular Complications of Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes: Cellular, Molecular & Clinical Immunology, edited by Dr. George S. Eisenbarth of the Barbara Davis Center, contains downloadable PowerPoint teaching slides.
Last Updated: Friday January 13, 2017 20:47:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.