Action Steps for a Diabetes Management PlanOnce the school has been told that a child has diabetes, the school nurse initiates the following action steps for development of the plan of care for the student:
- The school nurse initiates the Healthcare Plan Checklist and arranges for a family conference prior to the student's entry or return to school.
- The school nurse interviews the parent/guardian, completes the Health History, Healthcare Action Plan, Emergency Action Plan and the Universal Release of Information that is signed by the parent.
- The parent/guardian provides the school with blood glucose monitoring equipment (or a plan to bring it to school daily), medications and snacks, and treatment measures for hypoglycemia.
- The school nurse trains appropriately designated staff in emergency action procedures and disseminates information regarding diabetes to appropriate staff. For example, the classroom teacher and assistant, playground supervisors, lunchroom monitors, bus drivers, coaches, etc.
- The school nurse completes the Blood Glucose and Insulin Procedures form after observation of the student (if the student will do self monitoring at school).
- The school nurse plans for the nutritional needs and supplementary snacks and initiates a 504 dietary plan if necessary.
- The school nurse initiates and evaluates the student's individualized health care plan and makes modifications as needed.
- The school nurse maintains consistent communication with student, staff, parent/guardian, in order to provide for the appropriate plan of care.
[ Back to Table of Contents | Prev Section | Next Section]
Last Updated: Thursday February 27, 2014 19:28:21
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.