Our daughter was just diagnosed with diabetes less than three weeks ago. We have been really struggling with giving her shots. I do everything I can to encourage her to help us by trying to stay still. After lots of encouragment and time, we give up and my husband has to hold her down. She kicks and screams and does everything she can to make it go away. I am wondering if you have any suggestions for us?

The recommendations about how to handle insulin injections in kids will vary, depending on the age of the child. Ask your diabetes nurse educator about ideas such as:

1. Using the Inject-Ease (made by Palco). It has a nickname that many kids like: "the Rocket."

2. Emlar cream (very expensive!!!) or ice cubes (very cheap!) must be applied well-before the shot.

3. Play therapy: have your kid give you shots (with an empty syringe). Stuffed animals and live pets can also work, but only if they cooperate at least as well as you do with your shot!

4. Positive rewards, like stickers on a sticker-chart or calendar, that are worth points towards a prize (sort of like Green Stamps).

5. Probably the most important is NOT to focus on the negative behavior: focussing on the struggling will reinforce the undesirable behavior.