Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Dec 1995

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. We have a son who is 19 years, who was diagnosed with Type 1 (IDDM) about 2 years ago. He was an occasional smoker, and dropped it for a time. Now he has started smoking again. We need information to convince him to deal with this. (30 Dec 95)

2. Our 3 1/2 year old daughter was recently (3 weeks ago) diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. The problem that we are experiencing is an insatiable hunger. The Doctor has put her on a 1200 calorie diet which we are sticking to. Is this just a phase she is going through? (30 Dec 95)

3. I am doing a research paper and need to access the original questionaire from Diabetes Care on the quality of life survey done 11 years ago. Is there some way to access back issues of Diabetes Care or other medical journals? (30 Dec 95)

4. My friend has a eight year old daughter who has been diagnosed for 5 years. She is developing breasts. Is premature 'development' a side effect of the disease or of insulin usage? (30 Dec 95)

5. We are interested in information about levels of C-peptide and glucagon in the blood of children with diabetes. (30 Dec 95)

6. I live on the East Coast of the US, and am planning a six-month trip in the West. Am planning on through-hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, 2638 miles. I am Type 1 and vegetarian. Any suggestions? (24 Dec 95)

7. A friend recently told me that taking Chromium may help decrease the amounts of insulin needed. Any comment? (23 Dec 95)

8. We keep our son in tight control of his diabetes. His last HbA1c was 6.9. Can you tell me the dangers of keeping him in such tight control? Does having BG's that range from 55-90 cause any type of problem? (14 Dec 95)

9. My daughter is 15 months old and was diagnosed less than a month ago. Regarding her finger pricks, sometimes due to her nap or whatever, have to do her finger prick 2 hours after her last meal or snack. Is that too soon? Should we pick times of the day and stick to them no matter when she ate? (14 Dec 95)

10. My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 in November, 1995 (2 weeks ago). She had pneumonia at the time and her blood sugar was 240, with high ketones. Since she has recovered from the pneumonia, her blood sugar has stabilized. Is this normal? Is this just a honeymoon? Could the high blood sugar and ketones be explained by anything else? (14 Dec 95)

11. My friend has a 13 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with diabetes for several years. One night the mother woke up at 2 a.m. to find her daughter in a seizure. Is there any device (worldwide) the child can wear to alert the parents of a "coming" seizure in order to respond? (14 Dec 95)

12. My three year old daughter has both asthma and diabetes. Should I worry about a possible interaction between steroids for asthma and insulin? (13 Dec 95)

13. I am a fourth grade teacher, and have a young man who is a brittle diabetic, and for his research on the inventive process, he would like to study someone who has invented medical devices that relate to diabetes. Do you have any starting points for us? (9 Dec 95)

14. I am 14 years old and was diagnosed as IDD 5 months ago. I would like to know if there are any side effects or harmful attributes of increasing my insulin dosages, provided they balance with my food intake and exercise? (8 Dec 95)

15. My sister just read in an Italian health magazine (Stare Bene), that Dr. Robert Langer of the Boston Institute of Technology has been working on a watch type device that measures the glucose level and if necessary give an insulin injection automatically. I would like to know if her information is correct and if so, were can we get this device. (1 Dec 95)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts