Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Jan 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My son (a 9 year old) has seizures in the middle of the night. We take his readings when this happens and they are always low. What can we do? (23 Jan 96)

2. My daughter is having vitiligo on her lip. Some of the medical literature I have read states that the persons with vitiligo may also have some endocrine related disorders like diabetes mellitus. Are there any studies that any one of you aware of in this field? (20 Jan 96)

3. I would like to know is there a Web Page for Diabetics to use to send information, such as blood sugar information from your meter, to some Professional that can look at it. (19 Jan 96)

4. Regarding using alcohol wipes for blood tests, after reading your note in the DTeam answer, I stopped using them for my daughter. We always had and, as you hinted, her finger tips are quite rough. Is there anything else we can do to help? (18 Jan 96)

5. Have there been reports of a virus that can trigger children not predisposed to diabetes to become diabetics? A pediatrician in my area indicated there might be an increase in cases and two area schools have sent a notice to parents on a virus. Any truth to these rumors? (18 Jan 96)

6. I am an RN at an adolescent psychiatric facility. We have a black female who is being well controlled by metformin and glyburide. She is on a weight-loss diet and has lost 10 lbs in the past 2 months. We anticipate having to adjust her breakfast glyburide soon as her pre-supper BG levels are dropping to the 60's. There is so little info on this type out there, as informal resource person on diabetes for our docs, I would appreciate any input. (18 Jan 96)

7. We plan to take our three year old child (Type 1) on a couple of trips over the next few months; both by airplane. The strategy for re-scheduling blood tests / shots due to time zone changes seems to be well documented, but I cannot find any articles on the impact of change in pressure altitude, such as would be experienced in an aircraft. (18 Jan 96)

8. In my child's school of 400 students two little girls, age 10, have been diagnosed with Diabetes. One last week, one 11 months ago. We spoke to the Pediatrician who diagnosed the last little girl and he said he usually diagnoses 2 cases a year. In the last week he has had 4 cases. He also says 6 were admitted to our local hospital in just one day. Is this just coincidence? (18 Jan 96)

9. My neighbor is concerned that her child may have diabetes. He urinates very frequently, is often thirsty, and has periodic complaints that his stomach hurts. He is also often sluggish. I volunteered to use my Internet acess to get her some info on the topic. (18 Jan 96)

10. My brother has problems with blood glucose, which goes low to about 50 to 60 and he feels bad. What must he do when he has his BG too low? Also how can we prevent the extreme swings? (16 Jan 96)

11. I have heard about a sugar sensitive insulin being developed that works harder when glucose levels go up. Do you know if this will be available in the near future? (12 Jan 96)

12. I have heard so much about the effect of dairy and the development of diabetes in children that are predisposed to the disease. This is such a politically charged issue, it's hard to get a "straight" answer. What is the latest thinking regarding this? (12 Jan 96)

13. My daughter will be two in March and her nanny recently mentioned she thought she should be checked for diabetes because she is fatigued fairly often and she seems to want to drink a lot of juice which we water heavily. My child is also a vegetarian and I suspect anemia and am having her checked for that but should I look into the diabetes? (12 Jan 96)

14. My son was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I am still learning. What does 8% hemoglobin mean as related to the readings on glucose meters? (10 Jan 96)

15. Do you have any information on non-invasive glucose testing technologies? My son is 3 years old and has just been diagnosed. The finger pricks are really bothering him. (9 Jan 96)

16. I have diabetes, and will be relocating soon to the New York City area. Can you point me to a referral for an endocrinologist/diabetologist either in Manhattan or on Long Island? (8 Jan 96)

17. Is any there any information telling how you can check yourself to see if you have diabetes. So far I haven't found anything. (7 Jan 96)

18. We have a six year old daughter with Type 1 Diabetes who is losing her first baby tooth. Over the last three days the tooth has become very loose and is ready to come out. During this same time period her sugar levels have run higher than normal. Is there a relationship between these two events? (5 Jan 96)

19. My thirteen-month-old niece was diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago. She is currently under the care of a pediatrician at a rural hospital in a small town. The town does not have an endocrinologist or a specialist in diabetes. The parents are debating whether to take the baby to a Children's Hospital with juvenile diabetes clinics with experienced pediatric endocrinologists. What would you recommend? (4 Jan 96)

20. I am 12 years old and have had diabetes since I was 6. My hemoglobin levels are great right now (8%) and the doctor tells me that it is hard for most people to achieve that level. Lately, I have been investigating insulin pumps. Do you even think that I should consider getting a pump? (4 Jan 96)

21. Our son (age 11), diabetic since he was 5 years old, got eyes problems when he was 8 years old: He lost his accommodation ability. Several doctors were checking and they said it could have something to do with the diabetes, but I have never heard of anyone else having this kind of eye problem at that age. Do you know where I can find more information about such problems? (4 Jan 96)

22. Our son is two years old. We run into a situation where the am lente insulin is still going very strong in conjunction with the pm lente shot. We know to cut back the am lente dose the next day, but we have to fight these lows the night we discover this. Could you give us more data on the peaking times of lente besides the 7 to 15 hours that is on the pamphlet! (1 Jan 96)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts