Question:
My daughter will be two in March and her nanny recently mentioned she thought she should be checked for diabetes because she is fatigued fairly often (usually fairly soon after getting up in the morning) and she seems to want to drink a lot of juice which we water heavily. As far as I know there is no history of diabetes on either side of the family barring one great great grandmother (adult onset.) My child is also a vegetarian and I suspect anemia and am having her checked for that but should I look into the diabetes?

Answer:
Definitely, diabetes is a possibility; probably just about the same odds as any other kid would be who's acting a bit different from usual; we wouldn't blame the vegetarianism. Make sure you ask your daughter's doc to do something to check for the possibility of diabetes; it could be, though in the absence of a family history of diabetes, it's a tiny little bit less likely.

PS: There's a somewhat different situation discussed in another question; please note that the family history and the symptoms are different in that case.