Question:
Hello! I want to ask some questions about BGs. My brother who is 14 years old was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago. My brother has problems with blood glucose, which goes low to about 50 to 60 and he feels bad. What must he do when he has his BG too low? I know that he must eat sweets but I dont know when these sweets will increase his BG. How many hours after or what is the main sweet that increases the BG faster than others (fast acting carbs?) Also how can we prevent the extreme swings? His phycisian said to him to eat things that contain proteins and fats.

Answer:
This is a difficult question to answer, since the answer to the low sugar problem depends largely on the diabetes program your brother is on, including what he's doing with meal planning, exercise, and insulin shots. To say nothing of whether his pancreas is making a little bit of insulin now and then!

There's an imbalance someplace in the program, and this has to be reviewed with his Diabetes Team to figure out what to recommend.

Most kids who are 14 will do lots better if placed on multiple injections of insulin, and learn the rules for "flexible" insulin use. It may sound a little weird, but more shots mean less hassle.