Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Feb 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Is diabetes so prevalent because xenoestrogens, like dioxin and dioxin-like compounds, have contaminated the food supply in the United States and increasingly in the industrialized world? (21 Feb 96)

2. When our daughter was first diagnosed in July 95, several of the nurses in the hospital, also diabetics, told us to be sure and use one kind of insulin. They said either the Novolin or Humulin did not work as well as the other. Could there be any truth in this and what is the difference in the two kinds of insulin? (21 Feb 96)

3. Five year old white male followed during the last year with fasting urine glucose levels ranging from 100 mg/dl to 250 mg/dl. There is a significant family history of diabetes (both sides of family) and the child has recent history of polyuria and weight loss. However, fasting blood glucose levels do not correlate to urine glucose levels. Why is there no correlation of blood glucose to urine glucose and should this child be evaluated for diabetes by an endocrinologist? (21 Feb 96)

4. Our 7 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago. Recently she has become very irritable and easily agitated. We check for lows and usually there is none when this behavior occurs. She says she hears a voice that tells her to be good or bad. Our question is this; could a sudden drop in blood glucose levels (even if she is not technically low) cause her to hear these voices? (19 Feb 96)

5. I am writing to you on behalf of a cousin of mine who is a pediatrician in Sao Paulo, Brazil. He asked me to help him via INTERNET with what he thinks is a very rare case of diabetes with a two month old baby. What specific care does he need? Are there any peculiarities about the suitable treatment related to his age? (19 Feb 96)

6. I would like to hear some of the things that some people with type 1 diabetes do to help keep it under control and if there's a cheaper way to buy things when insurance doesn't cover. (18 Feb 96)

7. My daughter was diagnosed at 9 months, and is now 5 years old. Over the last year, she has complained frequently of her stomach hurting. The other night she told me that during the day her stomach had felt like a stone. This concerned me because we knew a young woman with diabetes who had a lot of trouble with stomach distension and took medication to aid her digestion. Is my child starting to suffer some classic complication of diabetes, or am I worrying needlessly? (18 Feb 96)

8. I'm 23 and I am diabetic since I was ten. My diabetes had been good till one year ago. Now it's going bad. I don't know why: I'm not able to remain on normal values and if I have a Hypoglicemia (56) after half an hour I have 240 or something like that. Is probably my insulin system not good? (18 Feb 96)

9. My 4 y/o son lives with his mom. She has said in the past that the boy has Juvenile Diabetes, but last week said it isn't Juvenile Diabetes, but he is borderline diabetic. I know a lady at work who is diabetic and she has two sons with diabetes, and she told me there is no such thing as borderline, you are or aren't diabetic. Dietwise what should he have and not have? What symptoms do I look out for, and then what to do if symptoms appear? (18 Feb 96)

10. My older son has diabetes and my younger son has to undergo an operation, probably in June/July. Is there any possibility that this operation (with total anaesthesia) will trigger diabetes? Furthermore, if blood tests were done now, and showed that my younger son has the diabetes tendency, could this operation make the situation worse? If so, how can we help? (15 Feb 96)

11. My brother is 12 years old and has been diabetic since he was 1 1/2 years old. He has been quite ill for the past 5 years and my mom and his specialist have not been able to keep it under control. Is there any work being done with brittle diabetics that could help this situation? (14 Feb 96)

12. My daughter is 17 years old and has had diabetes for 7 years. We are in the process of applying to colleges. We would like to know if there is a listing of colleges that supply some form of medical suppport or emotional suppport for the college kids on that campus. Are there any scholarships offered to diabetic students by any organization? (14 Feb 96)

13. My first son (who is now 6) was diagnosed when he was 3. At the hospital the doctors explained to us that juvenile diabetes is inherited. For this reason, my wife and I fear to have another child and are very worried anytime our second child drinks a little more than usual. Based on your experience, and also on the data in your hands, how likely is our second son to become diabetic? (11 Feb 96)

14. I am 30 years old and have been diagnosed for about 9 months. I have obtained very good control by reading food labels. What I really need to know is how to convert regular recipes to exchanges. Can anyone help? (7 Feb 96)

15. We had two children diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. Why don't doctors try to identify the virus that caused the disease in the first place and treat that virus instead of only focusing on treatment? Our one child, age twelve, was treated for this virus, homeopathically, of course, and she went entirely off insulin after four months. (7 Feb 96)

16. How fast does stress of any kind (i.e. anxiety, fear, anger, etc.) affect blood sugar levels? Can it make it go up or down or both? (5 Feb 96)

17. My 14 year old son has had diabetes for a little over 3 years. He has gotten in the habit of taking his shot right before he eats, rather than waiting based on his pre-meal blood reading. Neither he nor I can remember the guideline on how long to wait. Can you provide this information? (5 Feb 96)

18. My daughter has developed a resistance to Humulin insulin and is on Pork based insulin now. Tests have shown she has developed some anti-bodies to both Pork and Beef, but not as much as to Humulin. What are our options if her anti-body development increases against the animal based insulin? (5 Feb 96)

19. My son, age 7, has been diabetic for 2 years. His blood sugars seem to vary greatly: he will be 60 or less in the morning then 300 by dinner on some days. Other days it's 300 in the morning and 60 or less by dinner time. My question: is it harmful to have these swings in BG values and is it best try to stabilize the readings by adjusting insulin or carbs? (2 Feb 96)