My son, age 7, has been diabetic for 2 years. He is on a 3 shot a day schedule and tests 3-4 times a day. His blood sugars seem to vary greatly: he will be 60 or less in the morning then 300 by dinner on some days. Other days it's 300 in the morning and 60 or less by dinner time. My question: is it harmful to have these swings in BG values and is it best try to stabilize the readings by adjusting insulin or carbs? As you can imagine, the thing we have the least control over is exercise as he is very active most of the time. Based on this, do you think we should get with our diabetics team for some changes in his plan to stabilize the readings?

Your son's bouncing blood sugar levels do need readjustment: the occasional low sugar levels are running a risk of nasty hypoglycemic events, and the highs are much too high. We'd suspect that his Diabetes Team can rearrange the insulin guidelines to avoid the super-highs and super-lows, despite varying exercise levels. Adjusting the food is futile: seven-year-olds need to get the calories for growth as well as exercise.