My daughter was diagnosed at 9 months, and is now 5 years old. Over the last year, she has complained frequently of her stomach hurting. I often attributed this to too much aspartame. The other night she told me that during the day her stomach had felt like a stone. This concerned me because we knew a young woman with diabetes who had a lot of trouble with stomach distension and took medication to aid her digestion. Is my child starting to suffer some classic complication of diabetes, or am I worrying needlessly? Thanks.

She might have a diabetes complication called autonomic neuropathy, but probably not. Usually, diabetes doesn't cause belly problems for many years after the initial diagnosis.

Make sure you discuss this with your Primary Care Physician, and diabetes doctor, and if either of them are unsure, they'll advise referral to someone who deals with belly problems (a gastroenterologist).