Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Mar 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I have Type 2 Diabetes (mature onset). I also have Hypothyroidism, which is the lack of Thyroid hormone. I am 36 years old, from English Irish stock. Are there any others you know who have Type 2 Diabetes and also Hypothyroidism? (26 Mar 96)

2. My 8 year old daughter wants an insulin pump. She was diagnosed at age 5 and has done most diabetes care on her own for the last 2 years. Her A1C's have always been very good. What are the benefits and disadvantages? (24 Mar 96)

3. I'm having a difficult time really sticking with a diet to keep my diabetes under control. Do you have any advice? (24 Mar 96)

4. Do you have any thoughts on the Biocontrol Diasensor 1000 non-invasive glucose sensor, and whether, if approved for sale, it will be useful for kids with diabetes? (21 Mar 96)

5. Do you have any suggestions for battling time changes when flying from one continent to another? We are in the Middle East, 7 hours ahead of Toronto time, and will be flying for a total of 24 hours to get back to Canada (including stop-overs). We are considering flying 1/2 way (3 hours time change) and staying there for an evening or two and then tackling the other 4 hour time change. Any recommendations? (21 Mar 96)

6. Our 8-yr-old IDDM daughter has an ongoing problem with head lice. Her other siblings, mother and I do not have any problem with them. We thought that possibly the added sugar in her body could be emmitting through the oils in her scalp causing the problem. (21 Mar 96)

7. My friend's son has been stricken with juvenile diabetes recently at age eleven. He is exihibiting some signs and symptoms associated with Ataxia Telangiectasia such as red spots on the eyes, an earlier speech impediment and thymus problems. My question is: What is the presentation of juvenile diabetes in the presence of Ataxia Telangiectasia and could you direct me to other web sites that might address this issue? (21 Mar 96)

8. Is diabetes ever associated with Hepatitis C? A friend had diabetes diagnosed at about 45 yrs old and then Hepatitis C with interferon for awhile. Feels they are related. (19 Mar 96)

9. I recently heard that the University of Miami might have found a cure diabetes. The news program was in the middle of the night, so I didn't get the whole story. It was a procedure carried out on a 45 year old woman. It might have had something to do with injecting islet cells and an anti-rejection for the immune system. (19 Mar 96)

10. Have you heard of the treatment where cells and marrow have been put in a Type 1 diabetic and this has made the pancreas in some subjects produce insulin? (19 Mar 96)

11. What are some things we can do to help our 11 year old toward giving himself his own injections? He was diagnosed at 14 months, and we have been the "shot-givers" ever since. There's another reason for this request - he has a 3 year old sister who was diagnosed 2 years ago. Since she copies everything her brother does, I know she'd be light years ahead with her own independent care when the time comes. (18 Mar 96)

12. I am a 34 year old female who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 3. I have noticed in the past year that my left shoulder has become stiff and increasingly painful. I saw a line about something called frozen shoulder that strikes 11% of people with diabetes. Could you please give me some more information on this? (18 Mar 96)

13. My 2 1/2 year old son has just been diagnosed with Insulin Dependent Diabetes. The hospital has been using the Novopen insulin injection system, but the only problem with this is that it goes up in increments in 2 and the doctor expects that he may occasionally need only 1 unit. She wants us to use a syringe, but that gives us the heebee-geebee's. Can you recommend an alternate injection method. (15 Mar 96)

14. I am trying to find out the symptoms of diabetes. What are the warning signs and what tests can be done to find out. If you can give me that information it would be greatly appreciated. (15 Mar 96)

15. My son is almost 6 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes since age 22 months. For more than a year we have had trouble getting his insulin adjusted so that his morning BG readings are "appropriate" and consistent. Can you suggest any strategies to get his AM readings more in line? (12 Mar 96)

16. My diabetes is well-controlled, but I have lumps (large) at my injection sites that drive me crazy. I understand that this occurs since insulin is a growth hormone, but I cannot believe that there isn't something that I can do, or a drug that I can take to inhibit this growth. What can I do? (12 Mar 96)

17. I have seen news articles on the implanting of insulin producing islets. They interviewed a few diabetics who have had this implant and no longer need to take injections. I never saw any follow up news on these people. Is this working or did these folks pass out from high blood sugar? (11 Mar 96)

18. I have a [meter brand name], made by [manufacturer]. Have you heard anything about this meter? Do you think it to be a reliable meter? (9 Mar 96)

19. I received an e-mail from someone who claims that taking chromium and vanadium will cure Type 1 diabetes. He even referenced a medical journal article from 1957. What is the current medical position on this subject? (9 Mar 96)

20. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with IDDM about 3 years ago. I am now about to accept a job at another company. This new company has a pre-existing condition clause in the medical coverage plan. I would appreciate any info on how to get medical coverage for pre-existing conditions for a year. (6 Mar 96, updated 1 Sep 96)

21. I am interested in food based approaches to managing blood sugar levels in both types of diabetes (I am a Type 2). The DCCT study seems to indicate that tight control is beneficial, but it was only applied to Type 1's. (4 Mar 96)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts