I am interested in food based approaches to managing blood sugar levels in both types of diabetes (I am a Type 2). The DCCT study seems to indicate that tight control is beneficial, but it was only applied to Type 1's.

Although the DCCT studied only Type 1 patients, the American Diabetes Association, and most diabetes experts, feel that the results can be extrapolated to people with Type 2 diabetes. It's not the insulin therapy that did the trick in the DCCT; it was the close followup and changing programs based on lowering the home blood sugar levels that was responsible for the decline in glycohemoglobin and complication results.

Whether your diabetes can be controlled with meal planning plus exercise plus stress control, or whether it also needs medications and exogenous (external) insulin to help, the concepts seem to be the same: do everything necessary to get the blood sugar level down!