Question:
Please help! I am a 26 year old female. I was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 3. My diabetes is well-controlled, but I have lumps (large) at my injection sites that drive me crazy. I understand that this occurs since insulin is a growth hormone, but I cannot believe that there isn't something that I can do, or a drug that I can take to inhibit this growth. I'm driving my endocrinologist nuts over this, and I'm sick of him not taking me seriously. What can I do?

Answer:
We're not sure what the problem is. Two possibilities to mention for sure: are you injecting into or away from the current lumps? Or are you still on animal-based insulin products?

Clearly, the lumps will get worse if you continue to inject directly into the lumps. Sometimes people continue to inject into the lumps because it's painless, but it sure aggrevates the situation. Our advice is to find spots to inject that aren't lumpy. Sometimes if you let an area of skin "rest" for a while, the lumps will shrink somewhat.

And the older animal-based insulins had more tendency to cause lumps (lipohypertrophy) and pits (lipoatrophy). If you're still on one of them, switch!

We're unaware of any drugs to counteract this tendency to lipohypertrophy (other than using the purest insulin product possible).