Question:
From New Jersey, US:

I am trying to find out the symptoms of diabetes. What are the warning signs and what tests can be done to find out. If you can give me that information it would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:
The traditional warning signs of diabetes can be found at Symptoms of Diabetes.

Many people who develop Type 1 diabetes report all or some of the following symptoms (which are due to high blood sugar): excessive thirst, excessive urination (especially at night), weight loss, blurry vision, poor healing of cuts and scratches, and extra problems with infections.

Some age groups also have more specific symptoms: little kids may develop a bed-wetting problem; and adults may report loss of sexual functioning (in men) or vaginal yeast infections (in women).

Please be aware that not all people who develop diabetes have all these symptoms! Indeed, many people with Type 2 diabetes have few, if any, symptoms, and are diagnosed based upon testing of blood sugar level.

Updated 21 Jan 98