Question:
Hi,

I recently heard that the University of Miami might have found a cure diabetes. The news program was in the middle of the night, so I didn't get the whole story. It was a procedure carried out on a 45 year old woman. It might have had something to do with injecting islet cells and an anti-rejection for the immune system. Could you help me out.

Answer:
Sorry to have to disappoint you, but the media goofed.

You can review Jeff Hitchcock's comments about the news story, at What's New for 17 March 1996, or the letter from Gary Kleiman, Director of Medical Development of the Diabetes Research Institute.

He states:

Many of the recent media reports have focused, prematurely, on "a diabetes cure". As responsible members of the scientific community, we caution you that our new clinical trial is investigational. As in any pilot study, there is no guarantee of success. Concrete results from this study will not be available for at least one year.