From America OnLine:

My 8 year old daughter wants an insulin pump. She was diagnosed at age 5 and has done most diabetes care on her own for the last 2 years. She's bright, independent and has a very good understanding of the causes of high and low blood sugars. She thinks a pump will allow her to eat when she's hungry --- not when she has to. We go to diabetes camp every summer. Most of the counselors got their pumps as teenagers, but now I'm hearing of children with pumps, too. Our endrocinologist is not enthusiastic at this age. Her A1C's have always been very good. What are the benefits and disadvantages?

A pump is an individual decision, with many factors counting.

If her A1c's are "always ... very good," why do anything different? Although your daughter might think that it's "cool" to imitate the older kids, it's really a matter of whether she's mature enough to handle a $4000 machine on an everyday basis, with her life in her hands 24 hours/day. If this sounds at all scary, wait till she's older.