Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Apr 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My daughter is 5 years old and has had diabetes for 3 years. Lately I have been noticing when I give her her insulin in the A.M. in her arm, her suppertime blood sugar is high but noon is ok. When I give her her shot in the leg or butt her lunch blood sugar is high but suppertime is ok. (28 Apr 96)

2. I am the parent of a 7 yr old daughter who has had diabetes for 4 yrs now. She was originally on two injections daily, breakfast and suppertime, but she was waking in the morning with high sugars consistently. We then broke down the supper time insulins to short acting at suppertime and long acting N at bedtime snack. It did help with the morning readings, but those readings around midnight are high. Any suggestions? (28 Apr 96)

3. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 two years ago. Ten weeks after diagnosis we agreed to an experimental vaccination of B.C.G., an old tuberculosis vaccine. Do you have any information on this treatment and/or the studies? (28 Apr 96)

4. I would like to know the number of children in the U.S. who currently are diagnosed with IDDM. I would also like to know the number of children that are diagnosed each year. This information is important for some research I am conducting. (27 Apr 96)

5. My son has had diabetes for 7 years. Recently, he was invited to go to Disney World with a friend of his and his family for a two week vacation. I can not decide if he should go as I am worried he will have a lot of "lows". (27 Apr 96)

6. A 14 year old girl developed diabetes shortly after sustaining severe closed head injury in an automobile accident. Need to know probability of whether there was a causal relationship between the injury and the diabetes. (27 Apr 96)

7. I have a 16 year old son that has had diabetes for 2 years. His weight has been dropping and his blood sugars have been high; he is also growing 1.5 inches in 8 weeks. Is there a chance that the growth hormones that are active now are creating his high blood sugars? (23 Apr 96, updated 18 Jan 97)

8. I am not very happy with the lancet I was given to use (Penlite II and One Touch Lancets). I remember that when I went to the pediatrician, he used a "gun" to prick my finger. Can you tell me if you have heard of this device, and if so how to get it? (23 Apr 96)

9. I've had diabetes for 7 years. Two shots a day. Still after all this time I have trouble accepting it. Would like to be in contact with someone who could help. (23 Apr 96)

10. I have a relative, a 9-year-old boy, with diabetes since his early ages. He's in a very bad situation and the unique way the improve his condition is a new pancreas. But we don't have this kind of surgery here in Brazil, nor we have money to pay for it in the States, so I'd like to know if there are any institutions that finance this kind of surgery for people that can't afford it. (21 Apr 96)

11. I read with interest your comments regarding your views on the Diasensor 1000 non-invasive blood glucose monitor. I have a problem with your answer that you would NOT recommend this product and the reasons that were given. (19 Apr 96)

12. I have recently read a bit about anti-oxidants and a potential role they may play in preventing diabetic complications. As the parent of two teenagers with diabetes, whose diabetic control is very good but who certainly do not have a perfectly balanced diet, should I be giving them these anti-oxidants to help prevent future problems? (18 Apr 96)

13. I have heard that a study conducted in Japan shows that late onset diabetes can be prevented or effectively cured by restricting calories and preventing excessive weight gain. I would like to know if this research is considered significant among those involved in diabetic research. (16 Apr 96)

14. I'm 38 y/o male who was diagnosed with type II diabetes a year ago by my General Practioner. I have since lost close to 40 lbs and now excercise regularly. My weight is now normal for my height. The test which measures my average blood sugar over the last 30 days shows my blood sugar within the normal, non-diabetic range. Do I still have diabetes? Would it be considered in remission? (16 Apr 96)

15. My 13-year old, the youngest of our two sons, was diagnosed when he was 12. He is doing fine, but I'm not sure I am. ... I would like to hear from other parents. Maybe we're still new enough at this that there's hope before he grows up? (15 Apr 96)

16. My 35 year-old fiance has juvenile diabetes. Can diabetes be inheredited? If so, what are the chances of our children developing diabetes? (15 Apr 96)

17. I have been newly diagnosed after having surgery and infection. Is there any possibility that my blood sugar was out of whack due to the stress of surgery, infection and stress, and that once the infection is cleared up, that the blood sugar level will return to normal? (14 Apr 96)

18. I can't find a place to buy olestra oil for personal use. Do you know of a vendor that sells to a person that wants to try the 'oil' for home use? (14 Apr 96)

19. I use beef insulin. Might I get mad cow disease from using this? (13 Apr 96)

20. Having a two year old daughter with I type diabetes, I'd like to know the difference between the insulins "monotard" and "protaphane" in the duration of their action. (13 Apr 96)

21. My 7 year old niece has been diabetic since she was 5 years old. My question is, Do diabetic children tend to be sick more often than children that do not have diabetes? (12 Apr 96)

22. My 10-year old son was diagnosed with diabetes about 14 months ago. He has excellent control of blood sugars. How can we find out if he is a candidate for the BCG vaccine or get more info on the vaccine? (11 Apr 96)

23. My 17-yr. old diabetic daughter's diabetes control has been difficult since she was diagnosed 6 years ago. For the past two years she has been waking up in the morning feeling extremely nauseous. Her doctor thinks it may be sugars rising and falling during the evening. She feels sick in one way or another most of the time. (7 Apr 96)

24. I've been reading about the glycemic index of different foods. When I asked our endo what he thought about this subject, he said he didn't believe it. He said to ask, "If your child wakes in the middle of the night with a blood glucose of 45, would you give her mashed potatoes, or fruit juice?" (7 Apr 96)

25. I just read an article that mentioned "Whipple's Triad." It had something to do with diabetes. What is Whipple's Triad? (7 Apr 96)

26. I had a wacky dance teacher tell me that Kumbucha tea will cure my diabetes and cure my thyroid problems and make me a lot thinner and...... Anyways I was wondering about this stuff. It made my blood sugars go really high. Is there any scientific proof that it works? (6 Apr 96)

27. I was born in 1948; have been recommended for a pump. Possibly start in July. Help! (6 Apr 96)

28. Would like general information on diabetes, like What is it? How is it caused? How can it be prevented? (2 Apr 96)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts