Question:
I can't find a place to buy olestra oil for personal use. Do you know of a vendor that sells to a person that wants to try the 'oil' for home use?

Answer:
From the press releases from Proctor & Gamble, it seems that the first product to be released will be potato chips, and they won't be available for a while yet (as of April 14, 1996). I haven't heard anything about selling the oil as a single-ingredient item.

To quote from a review of olestra by Mayo Online Health Magazine:

For all the potential benefits that fat substitutes may provide, the foremost consideration is safety. Snack foods -- whether they contain olestra or not -- should not take the place of a healthy diet. The key will be learning and applying the principles of balance, variety and moderation to selection and consumption of all foods.

WWQ