From Boise, Idaho, US:

I have been newly diagnosed after having surgery and infection. I am still not sure that the diagnosis is correct. I will see an endocrinologist this week. They have started me on medication. Is there any possibility that my blood sugar was out of whack due to the stress of surgery, infection and stress, and that once the infection is cleared up, that the blood sugar level will return to normal?

Definitely, yes, there's a possibility that the hyperglycemia may be temporary, and return to normal (even without medication) within a short while. This normalization could last a few weeks or months (called a "honeymoon" when it occurs in Type 1 diabetes, or could last several decades when it occurs in Type 2 diabetes.

But, on the other hand, the stress of the surgery and the infection, like other stresses, might have been the trigger for the diabetes showing up. In which case, the blood sugar will continue to tend to be elevated, and medications as well as meal planning and exercise might be required.

All in all, it's rather a perplexing situation. I usually advise scrupulous control of the blood sugar to help the healing process; hence, I'd tend to vote to treat a situation like this as "probable diabetes" for the next few months, even if the sugar level were to revert to normal without medication.

Of course, there are other factors to weigh into the equation of whether you do or don't have diabetes: for example, how do you rate on the diabetes checklist?

Glad to hear you'll be seeing an endocrinologist soon. He/She can help analyze your situation and advise about your therapeutic options.