I'm 38 y/o male who was diagnosed with type II diabetes a year ago by my General Practioner.

I have since lost close to 40 lbs and now excercise regularly. My weight is now normal for my height (6'2" 190 lbs).

Within four months last year of starting my diet and excercise program I was able to stop oral diabetes drugs and my blood sugar returned to normal. The test which measures my average blood sugar over the last 30 days, I think it's called a glycohemoglobin test, shows my blood sugar within the normal, non-diabetic range.

My question is this: Do I still have diabetes? Would it be considered in remission? I asked my doctor this question but did not get a straight answer, and can't find any clear answer in general books I've read on the subject or on the internet.

Yes. And yes.

Congratulations on the hard work. With continuing meal planning and exercise and weight control, your Type 2 diabetes may remain in remission for years.

By the way, the term "remission" for Type 2 diabetes isn't in common use, but I think it's a good term to describe exactly this situation.