Question:
From California, US:

I've had diabetes for 7 years. Two shots a day. Still after all this time I have trouble accepting it. Would like to be in contact with someone who could help.

Answer:
You're neither the first nor the last person to admit to such a problem. (In fact, I frequently ask people who have lived with diabetes for years whether they're "used to it yet" and routinely get the answer "not really.")

I'd suggest you should discuss your concerns with your Diabetes Nurse Educator. If you don't have one, either check with the Nursing Department at nearby hospitals to find out where there is a Diabetes Nurse Educator who is a Certified Diabetes Educator, or call 1-800-TEAMUP4. He/She should be able to help you trouble-shoot whether there's an obvious glitch in your diabetes management that could improve your control, and your outlook.

If you and your Diabetes Nurse Educator agree that there are deeper problems, counseling might be appropriate.

WWQ