I would like to know the number of children in the U.S. who currently are diagnosed with IDDM. I would also like to know the number of children that are diagnosed each year. This information is important for some research I am conducting.

The following statistics about diabetes in the United States are from the Centers for Disease Control Web Site:

• Prevalence of Diabetes in the United States

Total (diagnosed and undiagnosed): 16 million (1995 estimate)

• Diagnosed: 8 million
    • Undiagnosed: 8 million
    • Insulin-dependent diabetes (IDDM): Estimates range up to 800,000 (No national registry for diabetes exists. These estimates are extrapolated from several regional registries).
    • Noninsulin-dependent diabetes (NIDDM): About 7 to 7.5 million diagnosed cases (1993 estimate)

• Prevalence by Population Groups

Number of persons diagnosed with diabetes (1993 estimates)

• Women: 4.2 million
    • Men: 3.6 million
    • Children aged 19 years or younger: About 100,000
    • Adults aged 65 years or older: 3.2 million

• Incidence

• Total new cases diagnosed every day: About 1,700 (1990-1992 averaged)
    • Total new cases diagnosed every year: 625,000 (1990-1992 averaged)
    • NIDDM: About 595,000 new cases per year
    • IDDM: About 30,000 new cases per year