Question:

My daughter is 5 years old and has had diabetes for 3 years. Lately I have been noticing when I give her her insulin in the A.M. in her arm, her suppertime blood sugar is high but noon is ok. When I give her her shot in the leg or butt her lunch blood sugar is high but suppertime is ok. Do you have any suggestions as how to help with this problem? I understand the absorption is slower in the leg/butt and faster in the arm and that this may be having an effect.

Answer:

It's true that where the insulin is injected makes a difference in how the insulin works. Insulin absorption is usually fastest in the abdomen, and slowest in the butt and the legs.

I'd suggest that she use a leg or her butt for almost all the shots, so that things are more consistent.

It sounds like the insulin program may not be balanced with her food and activity; discuss this with your daughter's Diabetes Team.

SS