Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | Nov 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I read a previous question you answered about cow's milk contributing to the onset of diabetes in children. I would still like to be able to read about this study linking the two myself. Could you tell me where to read about this study, and is anyone trying to do followup research to help prove or disprove it? (29 May 96)

2. I am 28 years old, and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 years ago. I am currently trying to get pregnant. I feel that Humalog may be the answer to my prayers. However, my doctor has told me that Humalog may not be safe for pregnant women. (29 May 96)

3. I have a 13 year old daughter, 5' 3", 95 pounds. Her sores heal slow, she gets a lot of sinus infections. I told the doctor her symptons, they did a urine test. It came back negative. She still has the other symptoms. Should I have her tested again? (27 May 96)

4. I saw advertisements two years ago for volunteers to test a non-invasive blood sugar testing device. I heard recently that it was coming and then nothing. What has happened? (24 May 1996)

5. "M" is 8 years old and was just diagnosed last week. I want to support "M" and her Mom by stocking their freezer with appropriate dinners for quick thaw and cook. What recipes do ya'll recommend? (23 May 96)

6. I have a 13 year old daughter who is losing weight. Isn't it normal for normal people to have ketones in their urine? How come people with diabetes shouldn't be showing ketones, even though they are losing weight? (23 May 96)

7. I am wondering about the potential for bladder infections and kidney problems in young diabetics. My son was diagnosed four years ago at age five. (23 May 1996)

8. My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes last week. How concerned should we be that our younger daughter is at risk - any statistical data to date? (23 May 1996)

9. My 17-1/2 year old daughter is type I diabetic and has been for five years. She was recently diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder, without hyperactivity). It sure sounds like she has ADD to me, but do you think it is easy to make an error when diabetes is involved? (21 May 96)

10. Do some fruits contain more "natural" sugar than others? What is considered to be the average fruit serving (i.e. grams or ounces). Please include kiwi fruit in your answer. (21 May 96)

11. I would like any information about diabetics with asthma. My 7 year old has asthma and has been in the hospital 4 times since September because of low oxygen saturation levels, wheezing, and vomiting. The last time the asthma was set off by a sinus infection. (21 May 96)

12. I am 15 years old and have had diabetes for 5 years. I am really interested in the insulin pump but I need more information. I have a huge problem of frequently going into ketoacidosis. Will this affect my chance? Also, how can I find out if my insurance will pay, and if it does, how do I go about it? (20 May 1996)

13. A 10 year old girl in my daughter's class in school was just diagnosed with diabetes. I would like some information to be able to explain everything to my daughter so that she can offer as much support to this child as possible. (18 May 96)

14. My nephew has juvenile diabetes. He is 2 years old and we detected this about 6 months back. He lives in Bombay, India. I am interested to know whether there is any oral insulin medicines available. (17 May 96)

15. I met a guy who gives massages who told me that there's a certain spot on the foot that you can rub to stimulate the pancreas. He said in a couple of weeks, I'd probably start to notice that my blood sugars will go down. Can this work? (16 May 96)

16. Please advise if Humalog has been approved in the US. Should a 10 year old using regular and NPH switch the regular to Humalog? (16 May 96)

17. My friend who is in her last trimester of pregnancy has been told that signs indicate Gestational Diabetes accompanying this pregnancy. She also was informed that with proper monitoring of her diet, she could possible avoid this happening. Meanwhile, she needs more information on this topic. (15 May 96)

18. Our room mate is 19 and has had diabetes for 13 years. We know how to deal with her reactions because she has them so frequently (sometimes 6 or 7 times a week). She doesn't do her morning shot until about 11:00 and sometimes doesn't eat for a long time after. She doesn't have any eating disorders, but we want to know how we can make her take better care of herself. (15 May 96)

19. My six year old son had been showing some symptoms of diabetes. I started to notice that his breath smelled like alcohol. One morning he woke with 104 degree temperature. When I took him to the doctor he tested his urine for sugar and it was positive. This concerns me. (15 May 96)

20. Have you ever heard of any alternate treatments for juvenile diabetes? My wife is currently seeking treatment from a "doctor" who claims to be able to rid the body (pancreas) of toxins which inhibit its proper function. (15 May 96)

21. I have a friend currently living in Moscow whose 8 year old child was diagnosed with diabetes last fall. She plans to travel back to the states for several months this summer and needs to find information about how to adjust the insulin on days of travel. (15 May 96)

22. I am a college student doing a group project about the fat substitute Olestra. I was wondering if there was any more information available that you could tell me about. (9 May 96)

23. I firmly believe that to achieve a high degree of control in blood sugar level there has to be a continuous feedback device to alert the individual of current blood sugar levels. Please advise if you have anything in this spectrum of diagnostic tools. (8 May 96)

24. My 14 year old brother was diagnosed type I diabetes. His blood sugar rises now and he can tolerate using insulin only once a day before breakfast. His blood sugar also remains at 120 to 130. I wonder if it's all right to use this amount or change this to half in morning and half at night. Also I don't know if there is another way for treatment like giving him pills that make insulin. (8 May 96)

25. We are testing our son's urine every morning using sticks that measure glucose and ketones. He is almost always in the 3+ and 4+ range of glucose. Is this okay? What should it be ideally? (1 May 96)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts