Question:

Have you ever heard of any alternate treatments for juvenile diabetes? My wife is currently seeking treatment from a "doctor" for our daughter who claims to be able to rid the body (pancreas) of toxins which inhibit its proper function through a therapy called "moracure"--some sort of therapy from Austria. I don't have much faith in it, though she wants to explore all possibilities.

Our daughter will be going through these treatments for the next two weeks ($out of town$) and I must add that our physician is not concerned that this will harm her, but also doesn't feel it'll help!

Please tell me if there is any hope to this.

Answer:

Trying unproven alternative therapies for illnesses such as diabetes that have excellent medical therapy available is foolish, risky, and smacks of quackery. (Anytime I hear the phrase, "ridding the body of toxins," I recall that this is a favorite line of quacks.)

If your daughter were to go through with this, and shows any improvement, it's probably due to something called the placebo effect (if you want something to help, it probably will result in a slightly better outcome than if you didn't want it to help).

Don't waste your money, nor raise your hopes.

WWQ