Question:

I would like any information about diabetics with asthma. My 7 year old has asthma and has been in the hospital 4 times since September because of low oxygen saturation levels, wheezing, and vomiting. The last time the asthma was set off by a sinus infection. Please help if you can.

Thank you.

Answer:

Asthma is very common so, inevitably, quite a lot of children with diabetes will have asthma too. The conditions are not directly linked but they can have an effect on one another. Well controlled asthma shouldn't cause any problems even if inhaled steroid drugs are used. However, at times of attacks, oral steroids may have to be used for a few days and these will tend to push up blood sugars with a need for more insulin. Even although this is inconvenient, you should have no hesitation about giving the steroids if your doctor recommends them because they have a very useful effect on inflammation in the lungs and help to bring the asthma back under control.

If your son is having a lot of attacks of asthma then perhaps he needs a change in his medication. Speak to your doctor about this--he will take the diabetes into account as I explained above.