My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes last week. My wife and I have recieved differing answers to our questions about how likely our 2 month old daughter is to develop the disease. My wife's grandfather had type II diabetes -- diagnosed very late in his life -- but we have no other history of diabetes in either of our families that we know of. How concerned should be be that our younger daughter is at risk - any statistical data to date?

According to the statistics, the sibling of a child with insulin dependent diabetes has somewhere between a 3% and 10% chance of developing diabetes in their lifetime. Please see an earlier discussion of the inheritance of diabetes, which includes information regarding the risk for first degree relatives, a summary of what is known about inheritance, and a reference to the diabetes prevention trials.