Question:

"M" is 8 years old and was just diagnosed last week. I want to support "M" and her Mom by stocking their freezer with appropriate dinners for quick thaw and cook. "M's" Mom works 9-5 and I feel I could best support both of them in this way as I have the time to cook and love to cook. What recipes do ya'll recommend? And, any of ya'll that know anything about this, am I correct in supposing that this is one of the ways that I can most help my friends whom I love? (M's Mom seems exhausted.)

Answer:

The American Diabetes Association has several cookbooks for people with diabetes. You can purchase them through the ADA or some bookstores, and they are usually available in libraries. These recipe books will tell you the nutritional composition of one serving of each recipe. This information is important to let your friend know when you give her the food. Nutritional composition is the carbohydrate, protein, and fat content of one serving, or how many of portions of each "exchange" from the American Diabetes Association Exchange List each serving contains. With this information, the mother can figure out how many servings of each food her daughter can have at a meal. You may want to ask M's Mom to explain her meal plan to you before you start to cook.

I think this is a great idea to cook for M and her Mom. I'm sure they will enjoy the delicacies and the rest!