I saw advertisements two years ago for volunteers to test a non-invasive blood sugar testing device. They said that it would be out in two years. I heard recently that it was coming and then nothing. What has happened? Are we ever going to get a device that will tell us our blood sugar levels without the lances. I am a insulin-dependent diabetic age 39 diagnosed in 1988. I was really looking forward to the new device. Will we ever see one? How soon might it be?

Yes, someday, I expect you'll see one. But not as soon as was previously advertised.

There's a very interesting article in the latest edition of Diabetes Interview (May, 1996), entitled "Bio-Hazard for Investors," in which it is pointed out that one of the companies involved in developing such a product (which they call the Diasensor 1000) has been delayed on its developmental timelines numerous times.

None-the-less, there are several companies working on these concepts, and I expect that, sooner or later, we'll see a workable model for sale.

Also, see previous correspondence about non-invasive glucose monitors.