Question:

From Prodigy:

I am 28 years old, and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 years ago. I am currently trying to get pregnant. While my blood sugars are normally excellent (A1C typically is 5.5 or less), during certain times of my menstrual cycle, my blood sugars become virtually impossible to control. I feel that Humalog may be the answer to my prayers and have considered getting it from Switzerland (where it is now available). However, my doctor has told me that she has received some indications that Humalog may not be safe for pregnant women. Does anybody have any further information on this subject?

Answer:

As of May 29, 1996, Humalog (lispro insulin) is not yet available in the US, though it is expected in the next few months. It is available in several other countries. [Ed. Note: Humalog (lispro insulin) will be available in the United States in August 1996.]

Humalog is merely insulin. It is not a panacea. Whether or not it can help control your blood sugars better is dependent on whether you and your diabetes team invest the extra effort (8-12 blood sugars/day), daily phone calls, and other aspects of meticulous diabetes control. The only way that I'd expect Humalog to help is if you have trouble with timing: the 15-40 minutes between Regular and eating would be replaced with 0-10 minutes w/ Humalog.

It is my understanding that Humalog will not be approved for use in pregnancy (nor in children), as Lilly has apparently not done studies in pregnant women (nor in children) to assure its safety. It's a totally synthetic product: there's a switch between lysine and proline amino acids (hence the name, lispro), and the body may or may not recognize this modification of the molecule as "normal" depending on circumstances.

Until I see substantial amounts of data on its safety in pregnancy, I will not recommend that my patients planning conception switch to it.

WWQ

Additional Note (August, 1996)

Humalog® (insulin lispro) is now available in the U.S., as of mid-August, 1996.