Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Jun 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My sister has had diabetes since she was 5 (she is now 24). Everytime she menstruates, her blood sugars seem to sky rocket (so do her ketones). Is there any link between her menstrual cycle and these occurences? (29 Jun 96)

2. Is there any truth to the notion that diabetes tends to skip a generation? (29 Jun 96)

3. I'd like to know the most accurate meter in the market. (29 Jun 96)

4. Does heat affect a diabetic and the BG level? Can heat change the insulin response in the body? The Olympics coming to Atlanta has brought this up. (29 Jun 96)

5. I've had Type 1 diabetes for three years. I'm very active with a strong career and social life. Any comments regarding keeping good control in today's fast paced world would be helpful. (29 Jun 96)

6. I have a six year old son who, for various reasons, I am afraid already has or will develop diabetes (including a history on his fathers side and signs like thirst, frequent urination, etc.). What are the early symptoms? (29 Jun 96)

7. Is there any way to buy insulin in bigger containers? I am on a fixed income and if I could save money buying larger bottles, it would help. Also, when I travel, I buy the pens to carry. Are there any that are refillable? All I have been able to find is disposable. (28 Jun 96)

8. Someone in my husband's office told him he has developed dyslexia when he became a diabetic. I've never heard of such a thing, but he said his doctor told him that. He wanted me to "get on the net" and find out! (24 Jun 96)

9. Is there any information about diabetes and the thyroid? (22 Jun 96)

10. I have a daughter 4 years old diagnosed as diabetic and I would like to receive more information about therapy and some information to recognize it and if there are some possibilities that diabetes can go away. (20 Jun 96)

11. I'd like information about the new study done in China showing effectiveness of chromium therapy. (20 Jun 96)

12. Which is better storing insulin, in the fridge or in the cupboard? (20 Jun 96)

13. In some of your replies, you say "Your Diabetes Team." Does the term "Your Diabetes Team" refer to a portion of your on-line service, or does it mean that such information may be obtained from one's own physician? (20 Jun 96)

14. My son has had diabetes since 7 months. He is now fourteen. Recently, he has had several convulsions. This has happened twice in the middle of the night, and I could attribute to not enough food. (16 Jun 96)

15. I am looking for information regarding the link between possible thyroid problems (e.g., elevated results in thyroid antibody blood test) and Type 1 diabetes. (16 Jun 96)

16. I am 14 and a half and have been a diabetic for 8 years. I have had a lot of stress recently and it has effected my glucose readings. I try so hard to please everyone and do everything right and I can't stand it anymore. How can I handle this? (16 Jun 96)

17. I have been a Type 1 diabetic since 1993 and I am interested in learning what research is being done to find a cure for diabetes and how I can get personally involved in these tests or experiments for finding a cure. (16 Jun 96)

18. I gained 20 pounds when I began my insulin regimen and can't seem to lose it. (15 Jun 96)

19. I recently read that diabetes, urinary infections, and hyperactivity can all be caused by systemic yeast infections (candidiasis). Our daughter has a history of all of these--please comment. (15 Jun 96)

20. We have several questions regarding ketones. (14 Jun 96)

21. I'm a child writing but it's about my 44 year old father, who has had diabetes since he was a kid. His druggist told him to switch from pork to Humulin because they were phasing pork out. Ever sinse he started Humulin he's been having an insulin reaction every week and his doctor isn't sure what's wrong with it. Is it true that they'll quit making beef and pork insulin? (9 Jun 96)

22. A recent article in Child Magazine describes a new product called Gentlejet which replaces the need for syringe injections with a new high-tech injection system. Can you give a review/comments? (9 Jun 96)

23. Could you recommend a "pen" for my 7 yr. old, diagnosed 2 months ago? She will be visiting my out-of-state mother who is 75 years old next month and I would like the injection procedure to be as easy as possible for her. (6 Jun 96)

24. Our daughter just turned 12 and was diagnosed as having IDDM 6 months ago. Just prior to her diagnosis, she was on antibiotics for "strep throat." I'd welcome discussion with any parent who has wondered about a connection between antibiotics and Type 1 Diabetes. (1 Jun 96)

25. Recently I cared for a 14 year old newly diagnosed diabetic. This young man's physician chose for him to have twice-daily blood sugars (at 6am and 4pm) with sliding scale Regular insulin and his mixed (NPH and Regular) insulin injections at 7:30am and bedtime. My coworkers and I have never heard of such a routine and were wondering if this is common. (1 Jun 96)

26. I am fifteen years old and currently on four injections. I was wondering if you could please give me suggestions on adjusting insulin and food intake while doing exercise. (1 Jun 96)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts