Question:

From Virginia, US:

I gained 20 pounds when I began my insulin regimen and can't seem to lose it.

Answer:

You've restated an extremely common observation.

Most people are well aware of the fact that insulin lowers the blood sugar, but very few are aware of what happens to excess blood sugar from eating food if the insulin is working correctly: the extra food is stored as extra fat.

Important questions to help you figure out how to lose the weight: Are you Type 1 or II? If Type 2: have you been on diabetes pills, and how well did they work? What is your present weight; desired weight, when's the last time you were near your desired weight; what's your maximum weight ever? And, most important, have you spoken to a diabetes dietitian about a meal plan that would be reasonable for you?

WWQ