From Mississippi, US:

I have been a Type 1 diabetic since 1993 and I am interested in learning what research is being done to find a cure for diabetes and how I can get personally involved in these tests or experiments for finding a cure.

There are many medical centers that are involved with diabetes research. In general, it's a matter of figuring out where these studies are being done, then calling and asking for either the Department of Medicine, Section for Endocrinology (for information about adult diabetes) or the Department of Pediatrics, Section for Endocrinology (for information about children with diabetes), then getting ahold of the "Research Coordinator" (or somebody who has a similar title). Your Diabetes Team may have some leads, and will have directories of names, addresses, and phone numbers for diabetes programs.

Also, take a look at: