Question:

From Nebraska:

I am 14 and a half and have been a diabetic for 8 years. I have had a lot of stress recently and it has effected my glucose readings. I try so hard to please everyone and do everything right and I can't stand it anymore. I try to tell my parents but they don't listen. they are always saying, "We are so-o-o proud of you." That is what gets on my nerves the most. How can I handle this?

Answer:

Thank you for sharing your problem of finding diabetes "all too much." You might not be surprised to learn that most patients with diabetes feel like this sometimes and those who say they don't are lying. It is especially difficult when your parents have been looking after you for years and then you take over. It's only natural that they want to know all about your blood sugars but you need to let them know that you don't want to be reminded all the time.

Stress, and just being 14, are big issues in diabetes because both cause hormones, such as growth hormone, to push up your blood sugars and getting good control can be very difficult even if you do exactly what your diabetes team tells you. You shouldn't feel guilty about this. Talk to your Diabetes Team - they will be well used to dealing with problems like yours and will help you to negotiate with your parents.

Hope this cheers you up - things will get better.