Question:

From Italy:

I live in Italy and I need desparately your help. I have a daughter 4 years old and here a group of specialists diagnosed her as diabetic and I would like to receive more information about therapy and some information to recognize it and if there are some possibilities that diabetes can go away.

And if there's the possibility of another kind of similar disease with the same effects and same symptoms.

Thank you for your kindness.

Answer:

If your 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes, I would recommend that you try and see a physician who specializes in the treatment of diabetes in children. It is best to work with a doctor near you to decide on the best treatment for your child. If you are not already seeing a specialist, you can look at the list of Diabetes Organizations around the world listed in the Global Diabetes Organizations. If you call, they should be able to give you the names of Pediatric Specialists near you and tell you if these physicians have any information about diabetes. (You can get information about Diabetes in English from the American Diabetes Association).

There is no cure yet for Insulin Dependent Diabetes, and it does not go away. It is not uncommon however, that soon after a child is diagnosed with diabetes, for there to be a sudden temporary drop in insulin requirements. This is called the remission or honeymoon phase. It can almost seem as thought the diabetes has gone away, but it hasn't. After a while, the child will need more insulin again.

There are other problems that can cause weight loss, thirst, and excess urination, but if your child had sugar in the urine and the blood sugar was above 200, she has diabetes.