Is there any information about diabetes and the thyroid? My sister had a "thyroid storm" a couple of months ago after receiving the radioactive iodine treatment to kill her thyroid. I'm assuming that complete killing of the thyroid takes time, but would like to know more about complications one can expect when a patient has both diseases.

Thanks. Any sites you can direct me to would be appreciated since I've spent a lot of time just getting this far!

Yes, there's a definite relationship between thyroid disorders and diabetes.

For further information on the net, you can look at earlier questions about thyroid disorders in diabetes: "I am looking for information regarding the link between possible thyroid problems and Type 1 diabetes" and "I have Type 2 Diabetes. I also have Hypothyroidism".

Knoll Pharmaceutical Company has a brochure entitled "Thyroid Disease and Diabetes" (Copyright 1995, EDP-9990206) that briefly reviews the relationships, and identifies overlapping symptoms that can cause confusion. Check to see if your sister's Diabetes Team has copies of this brochure, or write to Knoll, at 3000 Continental Drive North, Mount Olive, NJ 07828-1234.

Other resources about diabetes are listed at Non-Profit Corporations

Other resources about thyroid disorders include:

• American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
  • The American Thyroid Association, 111 E 210 St, NY, NY 10467 (1-800-542-6687)
  • The Thyroid Foundation of America, Ruth Sleeper Hall, RSL 350, 40 Parkman St, Boston MA 02114-2698 (Send self-addressed, stamped envelope)
  • The Thyroid Society for Education and Research, 7515 S Main St, Suite 545, Houton, TX 77030 (1-800-THYROID)
  • National Graves' Disease Foundation, 320 Arlington Rd, Jacksonville,FL 32211