I have a six year old son who, for various reasons, I am afraid already has or will develop diabetes (including a history on his fathers side and signs like thirst, frequent urination, etc.). What are the early symptoms?

This may sound terrible, but I am afraid to take him to the doctor as I am trying to get on an insurance plan and I do not want him diagnosed and then having a pre-existing condition. I already have one handicapped child who is causing me serious problems in trying to get insurance. Of course if he looks to actually have it I WILL take him to a doctor and hang the insurance.

This question was referred to several members of the Diabetes Team, who have each given an answer:

Answer from Dr. Quick:

Whatever you do or don't do, don't delay making the diagnosis of diabetes: it is highly treatable, and it's unsafe to withhold treatment if he were to have the diagnosis.

You could arrange to do home blood glucose monitoring to look for the elevations of blood sugar level that would be necessary to make the diagnosis; call your nearest hospital and talk to their Diabetes Nurse Educator to learn more about home sugar testing (or do urine testing, as mentioned by Dr. Lebinger).

Look at an earlier question to learn more about symptoms.

And, there's another question about prexisting conditions.

Comment from Dr. Lebinger:

I do not usually recommend that someone check the blood sugar at home of a child who does not have diabetes yet. If there is any question, urine testing is enough and requires little training. If there is any sugar in the urine or the child has increased thirst or urination, he must be seen by a doctor immediately.