Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Jul 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My son is 10 years old and was diagnosed at age 5. Last year he was diagnosed as ADHD and is taking Ritalin for that. On days that he goes to the pool swimming, we have noticed that at about 8:30 pm he drops low very rapidly. When this happens he complains that he feels low and reports that he is having difficulty breathing. (31 Jul 96)

2. Before taking insulin, my weight averaged 130 pounds. Since taking insulin, starting six months ago, I gained 16 pounds. I have tried everything, but it seems impossible to lose those 16 pounds. Can you help? (31 Jul 96)

3. Even though I've had diabetes for about 8.5 years, I still forget to give my shots, I almost never test my blood, I don't follow a diet. I do these things because I'm clinging to the hope that a cure will come sometime next week. (31 Jul 96)

4. I haven't seen anything along the lines of a cure for quite some time now. Is there anything going on or any major breakthroughs? I am 16 and just got back medical test results and they showed beginning signs of nerve damage in my wrists and legs. (31 Jul 96)

5. Is there anything you can advise at this time about the use of Humalog (lispro) in children? (28 Jul 96)

6. I am a 21-year old, new to diabetes, and having trouble keeping away from sweets. (28 Jul 96)

7. Could you please send me some information regarding studies and research on the herb stevia? (27 Jul 96)

8. Where can I get information about international and national diabetes meetings, especially the scientific ones with an interest in nephropathy? (27 Jul 96)

9. I am new at this, 2 weeks. [My son] had his R and NPH insulin before dinner and at dinner his glucose was 220. At snack time he was still 220. He had his snack. About 20 minutes later he said, Mommy I am really hungry. Five minutes later he said, Mommy my tummy hurts. Mommy I feel sick. (27 Jul 96)

10. I have recently been looking into the research on glutamic acid decarboxylase. It lead me to look into folic acid which is also a glutamic acid. Do you know of any trials where juvenile diabetics have been supplemented with folic acid? (27 Jul 96)

11. My 6 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in January 1996. During the past 2 weeks he has had low blood sugars in the morning. Can you suggest a reason for this, and a possible remedy? (27 Jul 96)

12. I am trying to find out how well diabetic monitor themselves at home and how closely the doctors monitor those tests done at home. Can you give me any direction as to who I might talk to? (27 Jul 96)

13. My wife is a 49 year old type I diabetic recently diagnosed with breast cancer. We are finding out there is very little info out there to help a diabetic on chemotherapy. Can you provide any help? (27 Jul 96)

14. My 13 year old son has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for two months. In the last week he has experienced the negative effects of the low sugar, meaning very disoriented, uncooperative and slurred speech. Is there any chance of permanent damage due to these episodes? (27 Jul 96)

15. I am the parent of a 4 year old who was diagnosed with insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia at age three. I was told this is a form of diabetes and is difficult to treat, and very little is known about it. (27 Jul 96)

16. What are the other functions of insulin? (27 Jul 96)

17. I have questions about my son's A1C results. If the reported range is 4-8 he will be at 9, just to give you a general picture. (27 Jul 96)

18. I have a 9-year-old son with diabetes who uses Humulin Regular and pork NPH. I was interested in your thoughts on the new lispro insulin. (27 Jul 96)

19. My four-year old daughter was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I heard recently about a device available in Great Britain which measures glocuse levels using a patch. Is it accurate? (22 Jul 96)

20. My son, just yesterday, was diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes. He is 10 years old and had suffered from ADHD from the time he was five. Is there a connection or could it possibly be that the ADHD was an incorrect diagnosis and he really has been suffering from a diabetic condition all these years? (22 Jul 96)

21. I have been diabetic for about five years. I will be in mountain country for several days in August, l996. I am on Glucophage only. Are there any special precautions I should take and any particular signs I should be aware of? (22 Jul 96)

22. Our four year old son (diagnosed 13 months ago), had an atypical low yesterday morning at 6 am. As we treated his low (BG of 56) we realized that his right side was paralysed and he was unable to speak. (22 Jul 96)

23. My child is 7 years old and was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Have there been any studies/tests done during the honeymoon phase to see what is happening with the pancreas and is there specific that prolongs or shortens the honeymoon phase? (22 Jul 96)

24. I am a librarian and recently a staff member requested the prognosis for juvenile Diabetes for a child 12 or 13 years old. Her question is: "What is the life expectancy of this child if treated properly?" (22 Jul 96)

25. My eight year old son started wetting the bed about six months prior to being diagnosed. He still wets the bed and I was wondering if there is a direct link between IDDM and bedwetting. (22 Jul 96)

26. I am pregnant and almost 39. I failed the 1-hour glucose challenge (nonfasting) test, and so took the fasting 3-hour test. How many hours should I have fasted for the test, and what is the impact of drinking water? (22 Jul 96)

27. Is this any kind of indication that a child who craves sweets might develop diabetes sometime in his lifetime? (22 Jul 96)

28. My 7-year old sister who lives back home in Egypt became diabetic when she was 18 months old. I'm looking for things that can make life easier for her. (22 Jul 96)

29. Our son was recently placed on a set dose of insulin (presently 1R/3N am, 1R dinner, 1N bedtime) regardless of his current blood glucose readings. Is this the norm for a child of 2 3/4 years? (22 Jul 96)

30. I need help organizing insulin dependent diabetes (Type 1) care for myself. (22 Jul 96)

31. Do you believe that herbologists and Chinese accupuncture can help cure a person's diabetes? (22 Jul 96)

32. How does a person determine if a home testing system is accurate? (11 Jul 96)

33. My friend is a 26-year old Bulgarian who desperately wants to get an insulin pump, which is not available there. Please let me know how someone from abroad can get an insulin pump here. (11 Jul 96)

34. My daughter, age 9, was diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago. Our pediatrician tells me that she is doing "really well for a newly diagnosed child." What range is considered "good control" for a young child? (10 Jul 96)

35. When [my diabetic husband] was 13 years old he was dirtbiking and flipped over his handlebars. My question is, could he have had injury to his pancreas when he flew over the handlebars that caused his diabetes? (10 Jul 96)

36. Our son, now almost 3, was diagnosed with Type 1 five months ago. Now we are thinking of having another child. Is there anything we can do to reduce the 3 to 10% odds we've been reading about? Should the child be breast fed? (9 Jul 96)

37. I'm looking for information on diabetes related anger. Any information will be helpful. (8 Jul 96)

38. We learned two months ago about diabetes Type 1 of our 3-year old daughter. It is very hard for us to accept the fact that she will from the remission stage slowly drop down to zero beta cells. It is very upsetting to end up just with injections of insulin. (8 Jul 96)

39. I am 40 years old and I was diagnosed with diabetes three months ago. My question is am I really a Type 1 diabetic? What is a C-peptide test and am I for sure a Type 1? (8 Jul 96)

40. A friend of ours told us he keeps his blood sugar down by smoking marijuana. Could there be a link? (8 Jul 96)

41. My 6 year old daughter was recently diagnosed. Does anyone have information or advice concerning the role of public schools in providing full time medical personnel to deal with insulin reactions and/or administering glucagon? Is this right protected by the Disabilities Act? (8 Jul 96)

42. Are vaccinations safe for children with diabetes? (8 Jul 96)

43. Can you tell me about injection sites? I seem to be getting a lot of conflicting information. If a person injects in the same location, say their abdomen, for many months can the area be damaged? (4 Jul 96)

44. My husband uses the NovoPen, but as the different kinds are very similar, he sometimes uses the wrong one before going to bed. This means he has to take an extra meal. What do you recommend eating at that time? (4 Jul 96)

45. Are insulin pumps efficacious with Type 2 diabetics? If so, any recommendations as between MiniMed or Disetronic pumps for Type 2s? Thanks for the info. (2 Jul 96)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts