My husband is now 33 years old and is a very healthy diabetic, with little to no problems. When he was 13 years old he was dirtbiking and flipped over his handlebars. He broke his arm and was taken to the ER, there they asked him if he had taken his shot that day. Of course he didn't have a clue what they were talking about. After about a week of trying to maintain his sugar levels they finally put him on insulin.

My question is, could he have had injury to his pancreas when he flew over the handlebars that caused his diabetes?

It would seem more likely that he had a predisposition to diabetes, and the stress of the accident acted as a trigger for the development of diabetes. Or, he might already have had mild diabetes, which wasn't discovered until he had the coincidence of an accident, and subsequent blood tests.

The only way I'm aware that trauma might be linked to the pancreas damage would be if the pancreas were "wiped out" by a medical condition called pancreatitis; in such a situation, which would take several days to become obvious, the patient would also be lacking the pancreatic enzymes that the other part of the pancreas is responsible for making, and the patient would be super-sick.