Question:

From California:

My 7-year old sister who lives back home in Egypt became diabetic when she was 18 months old. I'm looking for things that can make life easier for her. Can you please help me in answering the following questions?

1. Is there any blood-sugar measuring device that does not involve puncturing of the skin (e.g., something works with infra-red techniques)? If so, can you please tell me the name of the producer?
  2. Is there a certain sort of syringe that is recommended for 7 year old children more than other syringes (maybe something like a hand-gun or a pen)?
  3. Can you tell me the name of a producer of sweet-like desserts, candy-bars, cookies, etc. for diabetic children? or where can I find them?

Thanks very much for your time.

Answer:

1. At the present time, there is no "non-invasive" blood sugar monitor that has been approved for use in the United States. Several companies are trying to develop such a device.

2. There is no one syringe recommended for a 7 year old. If the child is on a low dose of insulin (less than 25 or 30 units) you may want to use the Terumo 25 unit syringe or the BD 30 unit syringe as it is easier to draw up small doses with these syringes.

If your sister has trouble with the injections, you may want to use an injection aid such as Inject-Ease® which will inject a syringe for you, but you must then press the plunger, or the Autoject 2 which both injects the syringe and presses the plunger. Please note that the Autoject 2 can use the Terumo 25 unit syringe, but not the BD 30 unit syringe. The original AutoInjector which can use BD 30 unit syringes is still available.

If the child is afraid of needles, there are "Needleless" Injectors available. There is a difference of opinion among users whether "needleless" is equivalent to painless. You can refer to the Products section of Children with Diabetes and read about Syringes and Injection Alternatives.

3. There are many sugar free and reduced sugar products available in the US. I do not know which ones are available in Egypt. You can refer to the Food and Diet section for more information. Also, Diabetes Forecast magazine, published by the American Diabetes Association, lists many companies that make sweets for people with diabetes. Be careful when you evaluate the products. "Sugar free" may not mean you can eat as much of the food as you like. Many foods are "naturally" sweetened without added sugar, but still contain carbohydrate which must be figured into the meal plan.

Most plain cookies can be eaten if you know the carbohydrate content (available on all cookie packages in the US). Usually you do not have to buy special cookies.

Additional Comment from the Editor:

Since your sister is in Egypt, be sure she knows that there is a diabetes organization there:

The Egyptian Union of Diabetes Association
40 Safia Zaghloul St.
Alexandria
Tel.20-3/4822720