From America OnLine:

My cousin is 36 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes about 16 years ago. He now has a son that is 5 years old. I recently have spent some time with this child and was concerned with his strong desire to eat sugary foods. It almost seemed an obsession. I have 2 children of my own and, although they are very fond of sweets, they have never craved them so desperately as this child did.

Is this any kind of indication that this child might develop diabetes sometime in his lifetime?

I'm not aware of any reports that craving for sweets has been associated with an increased chance of diabetes. In my own practice, it has not been my impression that children who develop diabetes have a history of craving sweets more than other children or more than their siblings who do not crave sweets.