Question:

From Prodigy:

My eight year old son, who was diagnosed with diabetes 1 1/2 years ago, started wetting the bed about six months prior to being diagnosed. In fact that is what sent us to the urologist and eventually led to his diagnosis. He still wets the bed and I was wondering if there is a direct link between IDDM and bedwetting. Of course it is more common when his blood sugars are running high, but it also occurs when they are normal. He has handled everything so well, but the bedwetting frustrates him. Any suggestions? He has had the usual urology tests, i.e. IVP X-rays, etc.

Answer:

I'm not aware of any direct direct links between IDDM and bedwetting other than as you mentioned, many children will wet their bed when the blood sugar is high due to the excess urine formation. You mentioned that your son started wetting his bed 6 months before the diabetes was diagnosed. Did he initially have urine tests that were negative for sugar? It is unusal for 6 year olds to have a history of excessive urination for 6 months before diagnosis.ting may be unrelated to the diabetes and sugar in the urine.

Anecdotally, I have seen several children this age (usually boys) who have had recurrence of bedwetting after diagnosis, and report that they wet the bed even when the blood sugar is not high. Although I do not know for sure, I wonder if perhaps some of these children wet their bed because their blood sugar goes high during the early part of the night and causes excess urine formation even though the blood sugar may be normal later on during the night.

I would try to reassure your child that bedwetting is common at this age especially in boys, even if they do not have diabetes. You may want to ask your son if he wants you to wake him up before you go to bed so he can use the bathroom. You may also want to ask him if he wants to try and limit his liquid intake after supper. Most likely he will grow out of this problem.